Overfilling 243 win mag case

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mosh338, Dec 13, 2013.

1. mosh338

mosh338 Active Member

Hi

Ive been reloading for 243 win mag with 87 grain Hornaday V max. I find that with 47 grains Somchem S 385 powder I find that the powder is just below the case mouth and the bullet seats on the powder.

Is this a problem?

2. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you are talking about a 243wssm . if this is what you have my quickload shows 47 grains at 100.7% case fill . max is 49.4 grains at 105.8 % case fill . so this should be ok , as far as a compressed load goes . are you using a funnel with a drop tube ? a drop tube funnel will help settle the powder for easier bullet seating . usually about 105% case fill is about as full as I want to work with .

if you are working with a 243 win 47 grains will be 101.2 % case fill .

3. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I use a long droptube on a funnel myself. But powder 'fit' for a given capacity really comes down to SLOWER filling.
    Don't drop the powder in the case. Pour it, slowly.

4. mosh338

mosh338 Active Member

Thanks guys

I'm using a 243 win mag with a conventional funnel and drop tube. I was just concerned when I saw that the powder was just below the mouth. I have loaded progressively up from 45 grains so I should pick up any pressure problems. My main concern was that I was compressing the powder when seating the bullet.

5. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Most manuals identify compressed loads as such. The Nosler I have lists % of case capacity. Compressed loads are a fact of life with some combinations.

I like loads that are slightly compressed, but still slightly below what most sources identify as maximum. Just me.

6. wstanton

wstanton Well-Known Member

Mosh, You should be fine, finding powders that are near the fill capacity for a case have the tendency to be more accurate. I fill my .243 up all the way with H-1000 and it loves it!