Minimum measure case 338 win mag

vitaminado

I'm starting to reloadind.
What is the minimum length of case for the 338 win mag when it trims?.

i am trim to 2.490,but sometimes it trim a little more.
What is the minimum allowable?

thank you very much

If it's 2.489" it is ok. Headspace registers on the belt of the case. The biggest issue with over-trimming is that it causes the brass to fail sooner due to flowing to fill the chamber. When I start a new lot of brass I trim it to 2.495". I do not trim any of it again until one piece hits 2.500" (normally after the third firing in my rifle) then I trim back to 2.495" and anneal. Neck sizing also helps to limit brass flow as it does not bump back the shoulder.

v, for best accuracy all cases should be trimmed consistent to the same exact length. As is repeated on this forum regularly, consistently equals accuracy. Good luck

Thank you very much for your clarifications
Trim to the shortest case AFTER the first firing.
Trimming before fire forming causes necks to lengthen unevenly.
You most often find that the first firing is where the brass lengthens the most, then settles down somewhat.

The actual length, if short, does not pose a problem in regard to function, unless you are crimping the bullets. In this case, you will need to trim them all the same.

Longer than the max length can cause very serious excessive pressure issues.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts