243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

I shoot the 95 grain bergers in my 243 wssm at 3240fps, 1in8 twist ,which should be comparable to th 243 AKl, my 13 year old son son has shot 1 deer at 540yrds and the other at 420yrds neither deer made it more than 10 yrds from where they were shot,I think that they work great for longrange however I would agree if your not shooting over 200 yrds not the best choice,

opnions are like butts everbodys got one

Sorry for the very late response-thought I would post my experiences though. I have shot the Berger 95 gr VLD from my 243 AI (MV 3330 fps, 0.5" groups @ 100 yds). My hunting results are as follows: Antelope buck @ 512 yards, high shoulder, bullet exited, antelope dropped. Whitetail buck @ 430 yards, behind shoulder, did not recover bullet, deer ran ~25 yards and fell dead. I have no data on game at any closer ranges, other than friends reports. Currently, until I see otherwise, I would not hesitate to shoot a deer/antelope at closer range. I hope this helps.

I set up my sons 243 wit the 95grn berger. It is a factory Ruger rifle, and they stabilize just fine. He shot his buck at 211 yards. The bullet hit the shoulder blade on entry, and from the inside of the chest the entry was about 2". No exit, just some slight damage to the other side of the chest cavity. Buck only took a few steps and fell over. I have his loaded down to about 2850fps as well. If loading these fast, I would be careful about shot selection under 200-300 yards, and not aim for the shoulder, but slightly farther back for a lung hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.