Bullet for 7wsm for deer hunting.

I didn't see who the manufacturer of his gun is, but he could have a 9.5" twist. My Vanguard 7RM is a 9.5" twist and I have had trouble finding a load that will stabilize the 168gr ABLR. 162gr ELD-X seem to be fine in that same rifle, though.
he said browning a-bolt 2 -- should be 1:9.5 twist

depending on altitude, temp, and speed--his twist my not be enough for this bullet to fully stabilize it

1592326863875.png

Last edited:
I've always liked nosler and swifts. If I choose to go mono the hammer is very high on the list. I'd like to talk to the owner one day about the different hammer bullets, I shoulder shoot so that's one question I have for them.
@RockyMtnMT is the owner, just send him a pm or call at 406-261-0010. Great guy to talk to.

he said browning a-bolt 2 -- should be 1:9.5 twist

Coffee hasn't kicked in yet this morning. I see that now.

It could be the twist rate. ON Nosler's web based load data, they recommend a 1:9" twist for the 168gr ABLR in 7RM:

However, for the 7 WSM they recommend a minimum of a 1:9.5" twist:

Max velocity is slightly faster for the RM, so not sure why a faster twist is recommended for the RM over the slower WSM.

I didn't see who the manufacturer of his gun is, but he could have a 9.5" twist. My Vanguard 7RM is a 9.5" twist and I have had trouble finding a load that will stabilize the 168gr ABLR. 162gr ELD-X seem to be fine in that same rifle, though.
it's a Browning A-bolt ii I'm more worried how deer they would be in the case, the base of the boattail is lower than the shoulder of the case.

my buddy said his 26" 1 -8 was not stabilizing them to well.

it's a Browning A-bolt ii I'm more worried how deer they would be in the case, the base of the boattail is lower than the shoulder of the case.

my buddy said his 26" 1 -8 was not stabilizing them to well.

Do you have a modified case and a set of Hornady OAL gauges and calipers to see how deep the throat on your rifle is? That would allow you to check if you're going to have issues with seating depth (along with checking how long your overall cartridge can be in your magazine box).

I would have expected a 1:8" twist to have no trouble stabilizing this bullet. Was he seeing oblong shaped holes in his targets, or just a less than stellar pattern?

Do you have a modified case and a set of Hornady OAL gauges and calipers to see how deep the throat on your rifle is? That would allow you to check if you're going to have issues with seating depth (along with checking how long your overall cartridge can be in your magazine box).

I would have expected a 1:8" twist to have no trouble stabilizing this bullet. Was he seeing oblong shaped holes in his targets, or just a less than stellar pattern?
I have more throat then mag length so that should not be the problem. I made a case and checked it one time but can't remember. My mag is about 2.860

my buddy has the Christensen arms ridgeline in 280ai, believe he was getting strange groups far out.

my buddy has the Christensen arms ridgeline in 280ai, believe he was getting strange groups far out.

In my case, I was getting holes at 100yds that were, ummm, less than round. Not quite real keyholes, but definitely not neat round circles. I wonder if the true minimum twist for this bullet is really much closer to 1:9" than 1:9.5".

On the Nosler load data page I included the link for earlier, they show a COAL of 2.825 and the highest load density was at 98% for the three powders listed. None were compressed. It doesn't seem like seating too deep into the case should be a problem.

Thanks for all the info guys, this maybe a long shot. My man deer rifle is a ruger m77 ts 7x57' I'll use up the last of the 140 Sierra pro hunters this season. Is there a bullet that could pull double duty that will work in the 7x57 and the 7wsm. I also have a 09 Argentine mauser that a 7x57ai but probably won't get used this season.

I don't mind spending money on good bullets, tho money is tight being out of work, but if I could get away with one bullet for all 3 that would save me money even if there more money per bullet.

In my case, I was getting holes at 100yds that were, ummm, less than round. Not quite real keyholes, but definitely not neat round circles. I wonder if the true minimum twist for this bullet is really much closer to 1:9" than 1:9.5".

On the Nosler load data page I included the link for earlier, they show a COAL of 2.825 and the highest load density was at 98% for the three powders listed. None were compressed. It doesn't seem like seating too deep into the case should be a problem.
ya could be, guess it's just a recommendation every barrel asks different.