Bullet for 7wsm for deer hunting.

I have a 280AI as well and it won't hang with the WSM. 8 grains more water capacity is not a twin. More like ballistic first cousin
There's no doubt that no two rifles are the same but a 160 bullet going 3000ish FPS doesn't matter what the case is, if the velocity matches the powder capacity doesn't matter. My 280AI has a 26" barrel so that may be giving me more than your rifle but is right in the same speed ranges of publish WSM data. At least we can agree they are the same family. :) In any case, the 160 AB is a versatile bullet.

There's no doubt that no two rifles are the same but a 160 bullet going 3000ish FPS doesn't matter what the case is, if the velocity matches the powder capacity doesn't matter. My 280AI has a 26" barrel so that may be giving me more than your rifle but is right in the same speed ranges of publish WSM data. At least we can agree they are the same family. :) In any case, the 160 AB is a versatile bullet.
here we go again "my 280ai is the same as your 7wsm" :p--from what I see, the 280ai published data is 3050 from a 160 class bullet, but the 7wsm shows almost 3200 from the same class (but different powders)--they are close, but not the same --I have always been intrested in a 280ai/mountain rifle as I hear they have a bit less recoil than the 7wsm's -- can you use rl26/160 class bullets in it for increased speeds? thats what combo seems to really shine in the 7wsm unless you start to load long --I'm petty sure that you could hot-rod either one to surpass the others book data though if you wanted

I like them all, but if I can get away from the belt that's better. The action used is what would decide the cartridge used. I haven't really loaded my 7wsm up hot, I normally stay a few grains less the book max. I'm going to work up to its potential now since for now at least I'm using it for the longer shot over my 6.5 prc

Anyone with a 7wsm what powder do you like, the only thing I have now that should work it h1000 and imr4350 I maybe getting some h4831sc soon.

Fair enough. But my 7wsm has a 26" tube and she does 180s a bit over 3000 FPS. Close but not a cigar IMO

Anyone with a 7wsm what powder do you like, the only thing I have now that should work it h1000 and imr4350 I maybe getting some h4831sc soon.
Rl 23 rl26. 26 is faster in my rifle but had more extreme spread. I lose 50 FPS but cuts my extreme spread down to less than 15 and more temp stable. Good trade for me

In looking for some different bullets to try out in my 7wsm, it's a Browning A-bolt ii. Just a synthetic stalker with the 23" barrel. Not really looking to shoot deer or possible black bear past 500 yards, maybe some steel longer out of If find somewhere I can do so.

My mag max col is about 2.860 from what I remember, I want to use this gun for the days were I know I'll be sitting over a field or were there's a chance of a shot over 400 yards. I have decided to use this over the 6.5 prc m18 I have, I think the 7wsm will shoot a little flatter and have more energy.

I'm thinking a bonded maybe the way to go, I'm still not set on monos. I like a bullet that exits the animal.

So any suggestions will be appreciated, oh I have some 168 Ablr but think there just to long or if they would even stabilize.

Thanks.

First two bullets I'd try would be the Hornady 139 flat base and the 140 NBT, could toss in the 140 Berger as well. My 7 WSM has a 23" barrel and it loves these bullets along with H4831. Nothing overly sexy but they work like novacaine...:)

side note, mine is a rocket with R26 and the 168 LRAB, but for what you're using it for I see zero reason to push it like this. Just one mans opine

side note, mine is a rocket with R26 and the 168 LRAB, but for what you're using it for I see zero reason to push it like this. Just one mans opine
how much powder can you fit, the 168 ablr is so deep in the case. No luck finding rl26 here. Would be fun to try them if I had the range to be worth it.

I should try the speer hotcor they always shoot good for me maybe a 160 to help it stay together. I have not used any of the newer nbt the old ones were super soft.

7wsm with 180 ELDm load. 949 yards
920CDD3D-45E0-4E9F-AE52-B8F0EA845CE4.jpeg

Recent Posts