.308, 185 Gr Berger Hunting Bullet for Mule Deer? Opinions?

miked

Have a nice load in a 300 Weatherby with the 185 Grain Berger VLD Hunting Bullet. Velocity is 3050 FPS. Am thinking about using this combination for mule deer hunting. I'm sure someone here has used these bullets for hunting. Am looking for any experiences/observations regarding the use of these hunting bullets on game animals. I have never used Bergers for hunting. Thanks for your help.

I have just used Berger VLD Hunting 168 gr BTHP bullets for my grandsons Bull elk hunt. Some would say that 168 gr is too samll for a big bull of say 1000# but my 12 yr old grandson droped teh 6X6 bull with only 1 shot!
Berger bullets are superior and I highly recomend them!:)
The bullet went thru 1 rib, 1 lung and completely blew the heart up!
The least blood shot meat I've ever experienced and the bullet never made it to the other side of the chest cavity.
I think more than a 150 gr bullet for deer is a bit too much but that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I have shot several deer with 190 VLD's from a 300 Wby at similar velocities. The results were good. Put it in the crease behind the front shoulder for less damage to shoulder meat and he will have no vitals to travel on. Broken shoulders are nice, but if vitals are in working order they can travel a long ways on 3 wheels. Take out the oil pump, oil lines and lungs and they won't go far, if they even take a step.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.