Mule Deer Hunt

Varmint Hunter

I'm considering my first guided mule deer hunt. I will be traveling and hunting with a hunting buddy. At this point I really do not have a specific destination in mind.

I am looking for a location with a large mule deer population that will provide a good opportunity to see game. While I am interested in taking a nice buck for the trophy room, I am not looking for a record book animal. Just a decent representative buck that will make a nice mount.

With 2 kids in college, money is a consideration. I will be looking for reasonable services at a reasonable rate. Not dirt-cheap, just reasonable.

Anyone have any suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]

With 2 kids in college, money is a consideration. I will be looking for reasonable services at a reasonable rate. Not dirt-cheap, just reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need to know the maximum you are willing to pay for outfitter fee only, not including tips, travel, etc. I know some guys but I need to know if you are wanting to draw a tag if you can, or buy a landowner tag which is guaranteed.

The hunts I'm familiar with can run as little as $2200 all the way up to 6K.

What cranks your tractor? Desert? Rockies? Sandhills?

Very interested for late 06 or early 07. Most desert mulies rut during Dec and Jan. I bow hunted desert mulies for about 7 years in Arizona but never connected. Archery hunting big mulies in sonoran desert country is one of the most challenging hunts IMO. Arizona has no rut hunts for desert mulies with a rifle. Hence my quest for a large desert mulie (rifle) else where.

So in short, I am VERY interested but for Dec 2006 or Jan 2007.

Thanks!!

I am actualy going coues/mulie hunting in less than a week but dont anticipate connecting this time either!

My one friend, Ralph Anderson of Rincon Outfitters does guide in AZ. He is a friend I've known for many years and he is **** good at his success rates with his hunters. But, you've already done that.

Second, I'd recommend Desert Trophy Hunts, Drummond Lindsey.

But if you really want a rut hunt, I'd recommend going to Nebraska and hunt the sandhills with Jim and Scott Kuhn of Deer Meadows Outfitters.

The last place I mentioned had a really nice area.

Oh, he's definitely an archery freak. The last conversation we had he related to me that he wouldn't even consider taking a firearm for elk, or mulie.

Rest assured, if you're looking for an archery guide, Ralph is your guy. So long as YOU know what you are doing and can shoot to 60-70-80 yards with a bow with confidence. If not, he'll put you in the animals lap. But for his clients, he does not have a problem with rifle hunters at all.

I've been shopping for a (RIFLE) Mulie hunt in West Texas or the Eastern part of New Mexico. Anyone have any connections with either of these areas? Texas is preferred because I won't have to buy an out of State license. Never hunted Mulies or Pronhorn Antelope before but have wanted to since I was a kid!

Nighthunter, give Johnnie Hamilton a call or check out his website:

Johnnie Hamilton

719-846-3559

He has excellent references and success rates. If I recall, he does have land in TX to hunt. But for sure in NM and CO. Also, and I'm going by memory per one of our past phone converstions, his fee for the TX hunt is a bit more but that is because the lease is higher. AND, the quality of antelope bucks is not remarkable compared to other regions of the west.

OR you can call Billy Cole at the Flag Ranch: $2000 to hunt and $2000 kill fee

I actually like that. It is better than spending 4 thousand dollars on a hunt whether you kill or not. PLUS it makes you a bit choosy knowing that you have to fork over $2K if you pull the trigger. You'll most likely see Havelina, and lots of coyotes.

Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts