243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

walserjack

Im thinking of using the 243 VLD for my son for deer hunting. His shots will be from 40 to 200 yards. Any opinions on this would be helpful. I need feedback before I sight in his rifle with this round.

The 87g version may work better depending on the rate of twist in his rifle.

The Sierra 85gHPBT is also great for deer hunting with the 243.

85 bthp works very well on deer. I dont think with the 243 case you get can enough vl;. to make a 95 or 100 grain bullet perform well. I have seen a lot crippled and lost deer from 243's shooting to heavy of a bullet. The 80 grain remington no thrills some even call uglies do well on deer.
mike

Last edited:
At the ranges you mentioned (40-200 yds) I would not worry too much about using the VLD, being that close I would recommend either the Barnes 80grn TTSX or the 85grn TSX, both would be better suited to the close distance you mentioned. Remember, the bullet is the cheapest part of your hunt, don't skimp on the quality.

I agree. I would not get caught up a whole lot with the VLD at those ranges. go with the 85 and you will be happy. Good luck.

+ 1 on the 85 gr hpbt from sierra, It is a great bullet for deer size game at those ranges, it flat puts the hurt on. dont use them for coyotes if you plan on selling the hide, I shot one and could use it for a hat on the exit side, I did start filling the hollow point with candle wax and that cut down on the damage alot.

None with the 95VLD, but I have a Rem Mod7 shooting 95grn SST's in very small groups to 200yds. Farthest I have ever shot it. It's a 1:10 twist 18" barrel.

Tank

For shots 200 yards and less your wasting your time with the 95 VLD. Its just not that great of a bullet for close ranges. 85 gr sierra or one of the nosler BT. I would like try some of Nosler's new 90 AB :D

For shots 200 yards and less your wasting your time with the 95 VLD. Its just not that great of a bullet for close ranges. 85 gr sierra or one of the nosler BT. I would like try some of Nosler's new 90 AB :D

Not looking to shoot close (unless I have to).
My 95Nolser Partition load does fine, but the BC ain't the best, and I want to stretch it a little.

At the ranges you mentioned (40-200 yds) I would not worry too much about using the VLD, being that close I would recommend either the Barnes 80grn TTSX or the 85grn TSX, both would be better suited to the close distance you mentioned. Remember, the bullet is the cheapest part of your hunt, don't skimp on the quality.
I also recommend the 85 grain TSX. It is very accurate in my rifle and because of the reduced contact area in the bore you can up the load a tad to get desired accuracy if you need to. I had the opportunity to recover one TSX after a frontal shot on a decent sized 8-pt whitetail and if looked like an add for the perfectly mushroomed hunting bullet. :)

I also recommend the 85 grain TSX. It is very accurate in my rifle and because of the reduced contact area in the bore you can up the load a tad to get desired accuracy if you need to. I had the opportunity to recover one TSX after a frontal shot on a decent sized 8-pt whitetail and if looked like an add for the perfectly mushroomed hunting bullet. :)

Originally I was trying to run the 85TSX and 87Vmax, but the TSX never shot well. The Vmaxs shoot in the .4"s and the Nosler Partitions in the .3"s, but the TSX never did better than 1". I got crazy speed out of them though; Broke 3600fps with no pressure signs, I didn't keep going to try to find them either.

Originally I was trying to run the 85TSX and 87Vmax, but the TSX never shot well. The Vmaxs shoot in the .4"s and the Nosler Partitions in the .3"s, but the TSX never did better than 1". I got crazy speed out of them though; Broke 3600fps with no pressure signs, I didn't keep going to try to find them either.
Well it is a great hunting bullet and one really doesn't need .4 groups in a deer rifle not meant for extreme ranges. "Minute of deer" is a lot more forgiving than a shooting match. Any rifle which will shoot an inch or under will do fine out to 350 yards or so, and that is all I'd think a 243 would be asked to do before energy levels just get too low. And at the velocity you were getting those copper dandies would still expand well out to the max distance. Just my $.02.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.