.243 Win for deer?

Rem, you need to work up loads for just a few more bullets and then sell me that gun!
smile.gif
I bought a Rem 788 .243 carbine (18.5 inch barrel) a couple of years ago and have fallen in love with the caliber, at least for casual paper punching. I nicknamed the gun The Flamethrower for obvious reasons and she's more than held her own at a couple of balloon/egg shoots here in the state. The long-barrel .223 shooters just grin and shake their heads when they see me setting up.

I strongly recomend the 100gr Seirra gameking SBT. I have used it both handloading and in the federal premium loading for the 243 with outstanding success. I have a browning Eurobolt w/boss and it will shoot 3 shots into .3-.5" at 100 yards all day. THe fed premium load was so accurate out of it that I stopped bothering to reload for it and shoot it almost exclusively, even when I do reload for it I duplicate the load as closely as possible. I have shot several deer at ranges from 80-280 yards all one shot kills with no deer going more than 25 yards after the shot. The biggest was a large 7 pt shot at 230 yards dressed weight of 175lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.