.243 win

Billdogge

What's its effective range? How many of you guys use one for deer hunting? What load?

Thanks
Bill

for me, I dont see the .243 win as a first choice deer rifle, with the exception of youth hunters, women and recoil sensitive people. I have one and can see myself using it next year a little, but the shots must be perfect and the ranges close. I would say that I wouldnt be comfortable outside 200 yards. I say this but Ive seen a few video's of guys taking deer out at ranges way beyond 200 yards (i was impressed). All I can say is that there is zero margin for error with the .243 win at long range. I do however know that Im going to be scolded thoroughly for saying it.

I don't shoot a 243, but both my son and I shoot 6mm Remingtons which are very close to the 243 in performance. With a great bullet like the Nolser Partition (95 & 100gr), the E-tip (90 gr), and the new to be released Accubond (90 gr), I think with a very accurate rifle, good conditions, and a good rest, 500 yards would be a good maximum distance.

I've taken lots of deer, antelope, and one spike bull with the 6mm and 100 gr. Partition and it's always performed very well for me.

What's its effective range? How many of you guys use one for deer hunting? What load?

Thanks
Bill

Its a good deer caliber. Many seem to forget it has the same muzzle energy as the "old" 30-30...and look how many deer have been killed with that thing....PLUS it has the additional feature of being very flat shooting. Zero'd in correctly it shoot dead on out to 300 yds...and I sure wouldnt be afraid to tackle a deer sized animal at that distance.

I have a Rem 700 in 243 with a cut down stock. I'm 6'+, but I use it for whitetail when its REALLY cold and I have A LOT of clothes on. I don't really consider mine as a long range option, it has a short barrel.

The 90gr Nosler ballistic tip has been a very very good deer bullet for me.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it on any deer at 300 or less.
I have much better options for longer ranges.

AJ

I load mine with a 105 A-max and Superformance. Had a chance last month to test the load on a small buck at 297yds. The amax past thru both shoulders and lights for him. Going to try again this weekend and push it out to 400 yds or so. Hard part is getting a deer to sacrifice for the cause at the desired range. This is my second season with the 243 and it's a fun little round to play with. Kill 2 last year with the 95 gr SST and it's a nasty little bullet too!

It is a fun round to shoot. I got rid of mine (TC ICON) and I'm toying with the ideaof getting another. Also considering .260, .280, .308, 6.5x55, 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmoor

BILL- you do not say where you are. deer are not really equal . the whitetails here are small. avg 75 , the buck in sasketchewan cost $7,500 to hunt and are 300#. i have killed over 250 coyotes many with the .243. it is accurate and deadly in the right hands with the right loads. guided two guy who took elk with it. it was less than satisfactory in their hands for elk.

Depending on the size of the deer would dictate the range I would feel comfortable shooting with the .243. I live and hunt in north western Oklahoma for Whitetail and it not unheard of to have shots at Bucks that range from 200 lbs - 250+ lbs on the hoof during the rut, which is usually during our rifle season. That being said, I would be leery of a 400 - 500 yard shot on a deer in this weight class. I use to shoot the 243 when I was a bit younger and killed a many of deer weighing 150 - 180 lbs on the hoof out to 350 - 400 yards. Had to track them a little ways but the 243 did the job. The 243 did do the job on the heavier bucks but they were under 200 yards also. Hope this helps you out. Good luck on what ever direction you decide to go, I am sure you will be happy either way.

Live in Upstate NY. My biggest deer has dressed out at 185#. Wanted to make this gun a 500 yard gun. That's why I'm thinking I might want more than the .243

Thanks

I use an 87gn berger VLD, my cut off is 650. This year a complete pass trough the meat on the front shoulder than both lungs leaving a 50ct piece size exit at 550yds.

Shattered the spine on another at 400. This one was butt twards me, facing away, head up a steep slope. I hit him a little lower than I wanted to. strait on in the spine just in front of the hind quarters. It took very little trimming. Had I shot him with my 7RM I'd have lost half the HQ's and back straps.

through the skull at 320

These are all antelope, haven't shot a dear with it this year. I would probably bring in the yardage a little for muleys.

Antelope and deer are small so I don't like giving up any meat

If you go by the recomended energy 1000ftlbs my load runs out at 400yds.

Hope my limited experience with the round helps. No it's not just a women's or kid's gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.