225gr-250gr 338 Elk Bullet for 338 Win Mag?

Under 500, about any will work. Your partitions certainly will. Accubonds, barnes, hammer, swift 210 scirocco, 225 a frame, 250 a frame.
I use the 210 swift through my 338 rum for elk and moose, and everything else. If you drop to a 210 class, you'll pick up launch velocity and the tougher bonded bullets can handle the velocity increase. In my experience, bullet construction matters more than actual weight.

I really like the Swift A-Frame. They are built like the Nosler Partition, but they are a bonded bullet whereas the Partition is not.

As the title says. I am searching for ideas about a good elk bullet for a 338 Win Mag in the 225-250gr class bullets. I was really looking for 225-230, but 250gr would be ok too. I am planning to load it to shoot no farther than 500ish yards. I have started a load with 230gr ELDX but have been reading mixed reviews on them for elk. I knew the smaller bullets were a little fragile, but thought the bigget ones might be better.

I like mono coppers, but in 338 cal they are well over $1 each.

I have a box of 250gr Nosler Partitions, but they are almost $2 each if you can find them and they are not exactly aerodynamic.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 MK2 All weather paddle stock with 24" tube. I just added a brake and Arken 4x16x44 EPL.

Thanks
Harley
I wouldn't worry too much about aerodynamics at 500 yds with a 338 WM, those partitions will work perfectly.

Ah bite the bullet & buy some Hammers. I just bought some sample packs of various calibers. And a box of 224. It's only money. lol
I'm sure I will eventually not shooting as much as I used to and frankly just don't need any Bullets right now. I've actually sold a couple boxes just this morning.
image.jpg

Which 338 Hammer bullet do you use? Is it out of a 338 RUM?
260 grain Hammer Hunter, 338-378 Weatherby. Ironically, it's sweet spot is the identical load out of my favorite 30-378 running 102.5 grains of H1000 push the 260 at 2930. All three RUMS are 300's and all close or nearly identical to tge 30-378's in velocity and I would believe the 338 RUM would be the same with 8 to 10 less grains of H1000. N570 and Retumbo may get you a little more.

Last edited:
As the title says. I am searching for ideas about a good elk bullet for a 338 Win Mag in the 225-250gr class bullets. I was really looking for 225-230, but 250gr would be ok too. I am planning to load it to shoot no farther than 500ish yards. I have started a load with 230gr ELDX but have been reading mixed reviews on them for elk. I knew the smaller bullets were a little fragile, but thought the bigget ones might be better.

I like mono coppers, but in 338 cal they are well over $1 each.

I have a box of 250gr Nosler Partitions, but they are almost $2 each if you can find them and they are not exactly aerodynamic.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 MK2 All weather paddle stock with 24" tube. I just added a brake and Arken 4x16x44 EPL.

Thanks
Harley

In my 338WM, I have run the 210Part, 225AB, 225TTSX and for decades, the old school 250GKBT. All have worked well at the range limit you have imposed. At under 500yds, don't over think the solution, for their are numerous bullets with a great history of success.

With your expressed range limitations…..any of the "tough" bullets will have adequate BC. I'd much rather be somewhat limited by BC…..than severely limited by shot angle. I'll take a bullet that will perform in the worst possible conditions ….ie, angles, heavy bone contact, ect. I don't want to leave game in the field, while waiting on that "perfect shot" angle! But, that's just me! 😉 memtb
If you look at the Badlands bullets you will limited by nothing in the 200-225. It is a mistake to think that high BC means single feed. The BCs are so low in the copper bullets that its not hard to beat them in that department weight for weight. Even Bergers.