.338 bullet for elk?

I know 300 grain is king for the 338's but I don't plan on shooting over a grand so there really isn't ballistic improvement over the 250 specially with a rocky mountain bullet having a .846 BC for there 250 grainer.
For those shooting barnes whats the BC of those?

I know 300 grain is king for the 338's but I don't plan on shooting over a grand so there really isn't ballistic improvement over the 250 specially with a rocky mountain bullet having a .846 BC for there 250 grainer.

Since bullet mass is an important part of BC there aint no way on this Earth that a 250 grain bullet has a BC of .846

Since bullet mass is an important part of BC there aint no way on this Earth that a 250 grain bullet has a BC of .846

Just going off the info whicj is as follows

.338 RBTAT Match/Hunting
The .338 RBTAT is a premium match grade bullet specifically disigned
for long range .338 cartridges like the .338 Lapua and the .338/408 CheyTac.
This advanced ULD projectile brings out the full potential of your long range
hunting rifle.
Weight 225gr.
G1 BC =.773 G7 BC = .356 SD = .286
Design Velocity - 2800fps - 3600fps
Suggested barrel twist rate for bullet stability greater than 2800 fps is 1:11

Weight 250gr.
G1 BC =.846 G7 BC = .390 SD = .314
Design Velocity - 2800fps - 3500fps
Suggested barrel twist rate for bullet stability greater than 2800 fps is 1:11
Weight 275gr.
G1 BC =.918 G7 BC = .423 SD = .343
Design Velocity - 2800fps - 3500fps
Suggested barrel twist rate for bullet stability greater than 2800 fps is 1:10
Weight 300gr.
Hunting = G1 BC =.979 G7 BC = .455 SD = .376
Target = G1 BC =.892 G7 BC = .418 SD = .375
Design Velocity - 2800fps - 3400fps
Suggested barrel twist rate for bullet stability greater than 2800 fps is 1:10

Weight 325gr.
G1 BC =1.035 G7 BC = .492 SD = .407
Design Velocity - 2800fps - 3300fps
Suggested barrel twist rate for bullet stability greater than 2800 fps is 1:9

I never doughted your word on the claim, I dought the accuracy of the calim, many makers have advertised inflated BC's they are not the first nor will they be the last.
If Brain Litz shoots them over his testing equipment and finds the BC to be close then I will beleive it then and then only.

The Berger 300 grain bullet has maximized BC potential considerably for a 300 grain bullet and it only matches there claim for a lighter bullet...

I just asked Ty Herring of Barnes bullets and he says the BC of their 250gr TSX tipped bullet, is .514. The 225gr TTSX is longer than the 250 due to it's lighter weight per length. Point is, they work very well. Of the 18 head of game shot with them in Namibia, only one did not have a complete pass through, and it was hit in the butt, going away Bullet went in, broke the pelvis, exited and struck the stomach, where it went inside and stopped. As noted before, if you go to their webb site, and ask, they'll send you a FREE DVD on their bullets, and how they work, etc. and demonstrate them against cup and core bullets. I am talking to a guy about going to New Foundland for Moose this September, and will take the 338/06 and the 225 TTSX bullets.

I love TSX bullets and have taken game with the 180 30 cal TSX out to 777 yards.

If I were to use a TSX in my 338 Lapua it would be the 225 grain TTSX with its .514 BC and I would drive it about 3300 FPS. The 225 will beat the 265 TSX in every way to 1000 yards. Less wind drift and quicker TOF. The 265 does not have a high enough BC for the amount of velocity that it gives up to the 225 TTSX

Make no mistake the 300 SMK hammers game at long range and I am sure that the new Berger will as well with less wind drift

would you tell me what load you're using in your Lapua to get 3,300 out of a 225 bullet. I can't find any load data that indicates a speed anywhere near that. Be one kick *** load for sure. I don't think I'd want to shoot it though, unless in a heavy rifle.

One other thing I'm curious about is why all the LRHs want to use the SMK rather than the SGK bullets. My finding has been that they're about equal accuracy wise, and the SGK would open better at longer range. Back when I started loading, in, as my one friend in Alaska says, the Dark Ages, bullets were so bad, that 2-2 1/2" 5 shot groups at a 100 yards, were more normal than anything approaching an inch. The bullets have improved so much that now it seems everyone thinks an inch group should be the largest one should shoot. I am finding that with the bullets of today, and the past 20 years or so, that's pretty doable. But I hunted with loads that went an 1 1/2" to 2" and never felt handicapped. But then, back then NO ONE was shooting at any game at 700 yds or so, not as a primary thing anyway. Elmer Keith did some long range shooting, mostly because of needing to in some circumstances. BUT, Elmer a good enough shot, he was always in the running in competition, and in 1925 at the Nationals, came in 2nd to a Marine (horrors), with one less V (todays X) in the 600 yd competition. This was shooting a 1903 Springfield match rifle, with iron sights, and military match ammo, which was no where near as good as what we have now. In that 600 yds competition, you shot a match at 600 yds, every day for 5 days.

Anyway, any load data you can provide will be appreciated.

I haven't worked up a load for the 225 grain, because I use the 300 SMK. I did work up 2 loads for the 250 SMK when I first got my 338 Lapua while I was waiting on the 300 SMK's to arrive. With a load of 98 grains of H-1000 I got an average of 3195 FPS 15 feet from the center eye on my Oehler 35. With 95 grains of R-25 I got 3204 FPS. All loads were in Lapua brass, lit by Federal 215M primers. OAL loaded lenght of 3.860 inches. I feel sure that I could get to 3300 FPS with a 225 grain TTSX
I have a 30" barrel plus the brake. With 92 grain of H-1000 I get 2800 FPS with the 300 SMK

How do know that a Seirra Game King would give better expansion than a SMK? Have you ever used a SMK? The BC of a game King is not as high as a SMK, shoot both to 1000 yards and this becomes very aparent.

Dan Lilja has aan excellent article on his web site about long range hunting with the SMK

Here it from a pioner of the art and one of the best

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: Long Range Shooting and Hunting: Page 1

Shooting338Laupa003.jpg

I am presuming that a bullet made for hunting is going to work better for hunting than one made for target shooting, as the target bullets not normally made to expand. I also presume that Sierra doesn't make a hunting bullet just for the sake of doing so. Having said that, I don't use Sierra bullets for hunting. I've always used Nosler partitions, or some Hornady's till I got these Barnes TTSXs. I used both 225s in the 338/06 and 140s in the 280. I am considering trying the Swift partition type on Moose/Elk, and the Sirroccos on Deer, etc. Just to see how they stack up against the Barnes. Actually, there are so many different and good hunting bullets out there any more, could choose from several kinds, and probably be happy. Have you seen the Barnes DVD. You can order it online or just give them a call and they'll be glad to send one to you. It's free... One bullet I also tried in Namibia and here, and DON"T like (and told their rep at a recent NRA hunter thing near here), is the Nosler BT. It didn't stay together in anything and blew them up real bad.

I'll check out the article you noted.

Oh, thanks for the load info. I'm sure a 30" barrel makes a difference too.

Tysue, i have an edge which is basically the same as a Lapua. i can shoot the 225 ttsx over 3400 with a 28" finished barrel. my go to load was around 3250 but i could shoot them that fast before i got a sticky bolt. i used mrp powder

I have used the Hornady 250 grain Match bullet with good results out of a .338WM. This bullet is a bit soft for shoulder shots at closer ranges but is very good with chest shots.

I plan to use it out of a light weight .338 RUM that I will be building soon.

I have a number of custom bullets, but have never heard or Rocky Mountain bullets, where can I get information on them? Thanks..

BTW: The article on the 2500 yd shot by the British sniper, is purest BS in my opinion. NO information on range he was initially sighted in for, no information on scope power, no information (other than factory load) of load, etc. Too much BS. I have a 100 power spotting scope and can tell you it'd be almost impossible to see someone well enough at 2500 yds to aim at them, even with that much power. In addition, the bullets angle would be so great coming into the target, that being off even a yard, would cause a miss. That an determing where to aim to intercept them with the bullet, if they are moving, would be very hard. How did they know where they hit them unless they recovered the bodies. A hit in the stomach at 2500 yards would have the bullet coming out their ***. Needs a 168 minutes of elevation, at a 100 yds, to be "on" at 2500. I'm not even sure you could have a scope/bases arrangement that would allow such an adjusment. I have shot LR matchs at Perry, and know others who shoot them around the world, and seriously doubt any such shot could be made, due mostly to equipment limitations. I'd have to challenge them to do such shots at a measured 2500 yards, at say, the range at Raton NM, where such a distance available.

What will happen with the 300 smk say in the shoulder at close range on an elk, and what do you call close range?
mike

Hi Mike,

I used 338 SMK for hunting for more then 2 years now.
I got lots of games down from 80yrd to 675yrd with this bullet, shoulder shots and boiler room behind the shoulder blade. ALL of them expires in less then 10-15yrd or on spot.
Shot on boiler room with 300SMK at 2830fps - small entrance hole, and exit is as big then 2-3inch hole throught the hide.
Inside... lungs are jelly, and if you hit the shoulder bones.... dead on spot.
Spine shot - the hit vertebra is like chirurgical cut (missing) and no meat damage.
Neck hit - the same as spine - dead on spot.

You will lose like 8-10in radius meat (open fist with all 5 fingers spread) if you hit the bons.

The smk RE A GREAT HUNTING bullets, for now... Will see how Bergers will perform with new Hybrid 338Bullet

Thanks for your input, thats what i wanted to hear. Just got back from range Shooting 300 smk's at 2750 my gunsmith told me with these Broughton barrels get some rounds thru her it will pick up some vel. I hate to go higher than the 93 grain load im using showing no pressure and groups average in the 3's largest grouup was .460 smallest was .264. Im going to stick with the smk for my co. elk hunt this fall seen to many pics of damage and too many replies like yours of how well it works as a hunting bullet. Maybe the bergers will do as good or better but ill let some one else find out first. The way my edge shoots i dont need any better accuracy.:D
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.