225gr-250gr 338 Elk Bullet for 338 Win Mag?

Hoss50

As the title says. I am searching for ideas about a good elk bullet for a 338 Win Mag in the 225-250gr class bullets. I was really looking for 225-230, but 250gr would be ok too. I am planning to load it to shoot no farther than 500ish yards. I have started a load with 230gr ELDX but have been reading mixed reviews on them for elk. I knew the smaller bullets were a little fragile, but thought the bigget ones might be better.

I like mono coppers, but in 338 cal they are well over $1 each.

I have a box of 250gr Nosler Partitions, but they are almost $2 each if you can find them and they are not exactly aerodynamic.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 MK2 All weather paddle stock with 24" tube. I just added a brake and Arken 4x16x44 EPL.

Thanks
Harley

My buddy runs the Sierra Gamekings with good luck out of almost the same rifle as yours. AccuBonds would be a good choice and if you can luck out and get seconds, they're cheaper. Since your only wanting killing power to 500sh, hard to beat soft point bullets for the price, lots of game killed by them before all the fancy tipped bullets.
At this point it may come down to what you can get your hands on.

My wife is using a Barnes 225 TTSX for all of her hunting……deer/antelope through elk/moose! We're running them @ 2950 mv. Here's a copy of the program we did for her rifle. You should have plenty of velocity for good expansion @ 500 yards! memtb

aoStc5Ll.png

My wife is using a Barnes 225 TTSX for all of her hunting……deer/antelope through elk/moose! We're running them @ 2950 mv. Here's a copy of the program we did for her rifle. You should have plenty of velocity for good expansion @ 500 yards! memtb

aoStc5Ll.png
What powder are you running to get to 2950?

I use the Barnes 225 TTSX in my .340 Weatherby. Price of bullets is north of $1 each as you mentioned and has increased sharply in the last few years. However, it is the least expensive part of your hunt, but probably the most important. It has to do the job reliably when it gets to the target. Any of the bullets you mention should work, and it would depend on which one your rifle likes best.

As others have said, the bullets you listed should work. Another option is Hammer bullets. Lots of bullets in the weight range you're looking for and in stock. I feel your pain when paying over $1 per bullet. But as mentioned it's one of the cheapest parts of the hunt. Use a cheaper bullet to practice.

As the title says. I am searching for ideas about a good elk bullet for a 338 Win Mag in the 225-250gr class bullets. I was really looking for 225-230, but 250gr would be ok too. I am planning to load it to shoot no farther than 500ish yards. I have started a load with 230gr ELDX but have been reading mixed reviews on them for elk. I knew the smaller bullets were a little fragile, but thought the bigget ones might be better.

I like mono coppers, but in 338 cal they are well over $1 each.

I have a box of 250gr Nosler Partitions, but they are almost $2 each if you can find them and they are not exactly aerodynamic.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 MK2 All weather paddle stock with 24" tube. I just added a brake and Arken 4x16x44 EPL.

Thanks
Harley
I've got a great load with my lapua using a Barnes TTSX-BT 225 grain

175 Hammer Hunter. Pricey...not much more than any other 338 bullet these days.

With your shorter COAL from the Ruger, this will be your jam...smokin fast lazer beam. I had it going over 3000 in a 338 Sherman (think 338-06). Nice on the shoulder too.

With your 338WM you should be plenty fast for out beyond 600 yards.

Been using the Barnes 225 grn TTSX in an A-Bolt 338 for a few years now. Killed a couple elk with it. Works well. Stocked up a good supply of them on a good sale a few years ago.

Otherwise, I shoot Sierra's and some Speers I got for a good price. The 225 Sierras do well on Elk. Have a good friend who's shot over a dozen elk with them and the performance has been great.