.338 Win Mag for lrh elk

As most have already stated, with the right barrel, load etc, it is a very good MR (400-800yd) cartridge. I use 24-26" barrels, and "easily" reach 2900-2950fps vels with 225gr bullets and over 2800fps with 250's. I have pushed them faster, but group size began to expand.

Well, I've found a factory take off barrel that's only 20" long... which's kind of weird. I have a savage lightweight hunter and 20" is the norm for it.. However I understand 338 is hampered by a short barrel. Is that even worth doing?
Would be trying to keep it a light mountain rifle.
If I could stand the recoil.
I finished my Savage build in .338 with the 20" barrel this past summer and it tips the scale at 8.2 lbs with scope and sling attached. I have tried the 160 Barnes and they average about 1 MOA and may turn out to be a good deer round though I have not hunted with them as of yet. The Noslers 180 BT and the 200 ST both average just under .05 MOA and I would give the edge to the 200 grain. I did not draw a Elk or Deer tag this year so no game results to report. When Deer season ends I may try it on some South Georgia Hogs and see what happen. Recoil as least to me was not bad, just loud. I was shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards off the bench for my testing this summer. However I don't want to use in a 30 round benchrest match. A Suppressor or a Brake may help with recoil if it turns out to be difficult to handle.

Well, I've found a factory take off barrel that's only 20" long... which's kind of weird. I have a savage lightweight hunter and 20" is the norm for it.. However I understand 338 is hampered by a short barrel. Is that even worth doing?
Savage barreled some of their Hog Hunter rifles w/a 20" barrel in .338. I wonder if that is what it came off of? I think there are other cartridges that would more fully burn the powder load in a short barrel like that.

Absolutely a wonderful elk round, anyone who says not just isn't very experienced in the taking of elk...

I'd load a 200 NBT if you can find them, or a 200 Accubond and rock on. The 250 Sierra BT would be another incredible elk killer out of that rig.

Hopefully the barrel has some heft to it, if it's less than .65" at the muzzle it's going to be a bit of a bugger to hold onto.........

I guided elk hunts for 17 years and hunted them for 36 years. The .338 never let me down. Minimum 180 grain (like 210 accubonds best). Ruger #1 and Lazzeroni 8.59.

I have had 4 different 338WM over the last 30 years. Custom Enfield, Ruger 77, Two different Win model 70SS models, barrels ranged from 22"-26". Sold one model 70 because I did not like its 26" barrel for carrying in the NW woods. Your 20" barrel will carry and point great. My favorite bullet in all 4 rifles was the Sierra 250 game king. I finally sold the last Model 70 which had a 24" barrel and went with a 338/06 in a pre 64 model 70 and am shooting 186 grain hammers. 67 grains of win760 should drive the 186 grain hammer at around 3000 fps in the 338/06. Your short barreled 338WM won't leave you under gunned.

I finished my Savage build in .338 with the 20" barrel this past summer and it tips the scale at 8.2 lbs with scope and sling attached. I have tried the 160 Barnes and they average about 1 MOA and may turn out to be a good deer round though I have not hunted with them as of yet. The Noslers 180 BT and the 200 ST both average just under .05 MOA and I would give the edge to the 200 grain. I did not draw a Elk or Deer tag this year so no game results to report. When Deer season ends I may try it on some South Georgia Hogs and see what happen. Recoil as least to me was not bad, just loud. I was shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards off the bench for my testing this summer. However I don't want to use in a 30 round benchrest match. A Suppressor or a Brake may help with recoil if it turns out to be difficult to handle.
Copy all, great info.......what rifle did you put the 20" barrel on?
Thank you!

Absolutely a wonderful elk round, anyone who says not just isn't very experienced in the taking of elk...

I'd load a 200 NBT if you can find them, or a 200 Accubond and rock on. The 250 Sierra BT would be another incredible elk killer out of that rig.

Hopefully the barrel has some heft to it, if it's less than .65" at the muzzle it's going to be a bit of a bugger to hold onto.........
Thank you.
Brand new barrel so should be fine.

I have had 4 different 338WM over the last 30 years. Custom Enfield, Ruger 77, Two different Win model 70SS models, barrels ranged from 22"-26". Sold one model 70 because I did not like its 26" barrel for carrying in the NW woods. Your 20" barrel will carry and point great. My favorite bullet in all 4 rifles was the Sierra 250 game king. I finally sold the last Model 70 which had a 24" barrel and went with a 338/06 in a pre 64 model 70 and am shooting 186 grain hammers. 67 grains of win760 should drive the 186 grain hammer at around 3000 fps in the 338/06. Your short barreled 338WM won't leave you under gunned.
Lots of good insight. Thanks!