.264 Win Mag for Elk

I'm getting 3100 fps using 140 gr Berger VLDs. Is this round (bullet) sufficient for Elk?

Thanks for any input.
The round is, I'd pick a much stronger bullet though. Either an expanding monolithic or a good stout bonded bullet like the Hornady Interbond or Accubond.

It's plenty of gun out to 600 at least with the right bullet.

Last edited:
Steve/RockyMntMT/Post#6
This is great to know someone who has used the Scirocco II 130gr ! I picked one up at the Swift booth at the DSC Convention a couple years back before they listed the BC (.571). It will be my first bullet to try in Christi's (my wife's) Savage BTVC 6.5x47 (custom barrel) we are putting together. If your son recovers any of these fine bullets on LRH biggame please share with us how its terminal performance was. Do you know the MV he is getting out of his 6.5-06 ?

I've shot a bunch of the Sirocco's. The jackets are too soft and they have a tendency to over expand badly flattening out like a fifty cent piece. When they do, there's absolutely no predicting where it will go. I've had them penetrate a couple of inches and turn 90 degrees or more failing to do any serious internal damage.

I had one fired from a .260 that hit a little low on a small white tail buck deflecting off of his sternum and shooting straight up through his spine.

Unfortunately I had a few fail on dangerous game and got a good education on why they call them "dangerous game".

They shoot great but are way too unpredictable. Better choices are expanding monos, accubonds, accubond LR's etc.

Yes. The 264 was designed for one thing, western elk at long ranges. Good luck on yours, its a great calibre.
Elk, Antelope, and deer in the west and in that era "long range" was 300-400yds.

Heavier, higher BC bullets and faster twist barrels have really brought all the 6.5's into a new era and the .264wm is more of a useful tool than ever.

Better metallurgy is also producing barrels that last much longer so the bad rep the Winnie got for burning out barrels is really no longer applicable either unless you shoot them hot and or do a lot of high volume shooting with them.

Are you familiar with the 135 grain Berger Classic Hunter ? Berger says it will stabilize just fine in a 9 twist 264 win mag to shoot elk at a distance.
The round is, I'd pick a much stronger bullet though. Either an expanding monolithic or a good stout bonded bullet like the Hornady Interbond or Accubond.

It's plenty of gun out to 600 at least with the right bullet.
What brand chronograph are you using? Also, call Berger and ask them how far they think it will work, probably past 600 from what I've seen on YouTube, but see what they tell you.

Are you familiar with the 135 grain Berger Classic Hunter ? Berger says it will stabilize just fine in a 9 twist 264 win mag to shoot elk at a distance.

What brand chronograph are you using? Also, call Berger and ask them how far they think it will work, probably past 600 from what I've seen on YouTube, but see what they tell you.

I'm familiar, it's not a bullet I trust the Berger fans think the sun rises and sets with them but I've just seen too many failures so I quit using them.

My old Chrony died, it was an Oehler. Next one will be a Lab Radar.

I'm getting 3100 fps using 140 gr Berger VLDs. Is this round (bullet) sufficient for Elk?

Thanks for any input.

The velocity is fine but I wouldn't choose that bullet on a bet against elk. They are too frangible for my taste. My preference is to use a stouter bullet even if that means giving up some B.C.

My choices are, in no particular order:
Barnes TTSX and LRX
Nosler AcuBond and AccuBond LR
Swift Scirocco II and A-Frame
North Fork SS (No longer available but I have a lifetime supply)

First off I am not a Berger fan boy, I just let my rifles tell me what they like. And in this case my custom 264 win mag really likes the 140 grain Berger's. 1/2 to 3/4 minute gun out to 800 yards. As with any shot, it is about the placement. I would not suggest taking a shoulder shot with the Berger, if that's where you want to shoot use another bullet that has been mentioned earlier
2012 BULL_2.jpg
I shot this bull a few years ago at 376 yards with the 140 Berger. Placement was just behind the crease. Bull took 5 steps and crumpled. I have taken a few deer and antelope with the same round and same shot placement and all the kills have ended just like the bull elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.