225gr-250gr 338 Elk Bullet for 338 Win Mag?

As the title says. I am searching for ideas about a good elk bullet for a 338 Win Mag in the 225-250gr class bullets. I was really looking for 225-230, but 250gr would be ok too. I am planning to load it to shoot no farther than 500ish yards. I have started a load with 230gr ELDX but have been reading mixed reviews on them for elk. I knew the smaller bullets were a little fragile, but thought the bigget ones might be better.

I like mono coppers, but in 338 cal they are well over $1 each.

I have a box of 250gr Nosler Partitions, but they are almost $2 each if you can find them and they are not exactly aerodynamic.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 MK2 All weather paddle stock with 24" tube. I just added a brake and Arken 4x16x44 EPL.

Thanks
Harley
My Ruger 338WM has always shot very well with plain old Remington 225gr core locks. My African PH insisted I use the 250gr core locks on my safari, which also shot very well. I don't that an elk would notice the difference between the 2 bullets but they are both good for me out to 350/400 yards which is about as far I would probably shoot.

FYI: I recently tried some Hornady Precision Hunter 230gr ELD-X loads. In spite of their premium designation and cost, they were absolutely the WORST shooting rounds I have ever shot in in any of my rifles. 10 to 12 inch spreads at 200 yards. I don't know why my Ruger Mk 2 did not like them.

Going back to the REM 225gr I was on target with easy1.5 inch groups at 200 yards.
When I could get the the Federals loaded with 225gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullets, I could shoot 3 shot groups under an inch (somt

Thanks to a few guys on this forum, I have become a 338 shooter. I shoot a 338-378 Weatherby Mag. My first bullets were 185gr. Hornady CX. Target practice proves that CX bullets fly extremely well. I shot a small doe with that set-up, running about 3,400 fps, and though that is nothing like shooting an elk, I can't complain about the performance. I bought a box of 225gr. Hornady CX (copper extreme) bullets. Where I hunt now, I will get to use them on 350+ pound hogs. When I do that, I'll let you know how the 225gr's work on a really tough animal.

As the title says. I am searching for ideas about a good elk bullet for a 338 Win Mag in the 225-250gr class bullets. I was really looking for 225-230, but 250gr would be ok too. I am planning to load it to shoot no farther than 500ish yards. I have started a load with 230gr ELDX but have been reading mixed reviews on them for elk. I knew the smaller bullets were a little fragile, but thought the bigget ones might be better.

I have a box of 250gr Nosler Partitions, but they are almost $2 each if you can find them and they are not exactly aerodynamic.

Rifle is a Ruger M77 MK2 All weather paddle stock with 24" tube. I just added a brake and Arken 4x16x44 EPL.

Thanks
Harley
I have one too. I bet you like the brake! I am using a 200gr Accubond @ 3220 or 30 fps. That should do any elk for you. Being you are holding your shots to 500yds. These load are hot, but group excel for me.
This rifle I use was Bill Henry Ruger. I would shot it for him for groups. I put a trigge in it, because that 8lbs that Ruger supplied, I hated it. It kicked like mule. A couple of years later he was selling it. I purchased it. it set in my save for several years. Come across a smith that was and is putting his own brake on rifles. It's toldly different than any I have seen. It worked like the Smith said. The rifle didn't buck in any different direction. So you didn't lose sight patten. The last the last time I used it was in Africa a couple of years ago. i was 4 for 4 and nothing went more that 40yds after being hit.
REMEMBER THESE LOADS ARE HOT. i TRIED THE 200 AcBd in my sons 338WM and no problem with the load. Primers are flat, but that it. I would start up at your low end and bring up a .5grs at a time, and one load each and WATCH YOUR PRIMERS, AND FOR EJECTOR MARKS. We didn't have any with those loads showing, but next rifle maybe different. Just fire one case and increase the next powder load by the .5gr. Use a chronographs to watch your velocities. I used W760 powder for that load. It was develop in the summer time. So I probable slower in the cold weather times. My son rifle handle the 75.5gr just find.

Attachments

• Bill Henry Reloading info 338 Win Mag.pdf
    372.7 KB · Views: 86
My buddy in Alaska borrowed my 338 win mag for moose for 7 years. HE KILLED 7 moose with 7 shots with Speer grand slam 250 grain bullets .He killed them in their tracks from 15 yards to 350 yards. THOSE bullets are awesome .My other buddy used my 338-378 Weatherby with 250 grain partitions killed two caribou with one shot at 450 yards

Lots of great options for the 33's. I ran a 340 Wby for a couple decades took a lot of elk with it.

200 NBT, 210 Part, 225 and 250 Part's. 250 Sierra BT, 225 and 250 SAF, 250 Scenar, 250 North Fork, 210 TTSX and so on. Pretty darn tough to find a bullet that won't work well.

I've run 2 different Rem 700 338 Win mags for 20 years on mule deer, caribou, moose, and many elk. The 225gr Accubond, partition, and 225gr Hornady interbond all work flawless assuming you do your part. Mostly one-shot kills. Handloads at 2940 fps with IMR 4350, nothing fancy. Ranges on elk up to 420 yards. Lighter than 225 gr seems to give up accuracy.

Thanks
Harley

Thanks
Harley
I'm using 215 Sierra gamekings in 340 with VV560, have used H4350, R19 and 7828. I really liked the Hornady Interbond but have not been able to find them. The Hornady 230ELDX would not group at mag length. Guessing this is a hunting rig, how do you like the Arken scope?