22-250 for deer?

JMPO but I would not use the 22-250 for deer, have owned a few including a custom-built Savage with an 8 twist 30" barrel but unless you get a head shot there is no shot. Again just my personal opinion.

I'm amazed that

I have never seen that slow of twist rate in any. 22 cal. rifle. I'm amazed that any bullet would stabilize at all. I went to a 1-7 in order to get stabilized bullets above 62gr. to shoot under 1/2" groups where with my 1-10 they wouldn't hit a 6" target at 100 yards.

You are showing how little you know, and my point is to educate you, not put you down.

PO Ackley invented his "Ackley" line of cartgridges based on how effective the 220 Swift was in killing deer with 48g Winchester ammo.

A 55g Bullet at 3650-3750 out of a Rem 700(14 twists) completely destroys the lungs and heart on a broadside shot. A 60g partition destroys the shoulder and front of the back strap with the same shot placement.

Friend here owns an apple orchard and has a depredation permit. He kills over 20 deer per year with his Sako varmint made in the 70's, and it has a 14 twist also. He shoots 55g Rem core loct ammo.

Guys that use a varmint rifle to hunt deer with, usually have a high power varmint scope on their rifle and they shoot small groups at 200 yards. Combo of very little recoil, practice, high power scope makes for some very deadly shot placement.

For guys that want to kick it up a notch, the 22/243, 22/243 AI, and the 22-6 Rem AI will shoot the 80's at some impressive speed and the rounds are devastating to deer and hogs.

The size of the permanent wound cavity is tremendous with the speed. Guys that get buck fever, or those that slap the trigger from excitement need to work hard to develop better shooting skills, and less recoil helps tremendously in overcoming bad habits anticipating recoil.

I use my 22-250 on whitetails here in West Virginia. My shots are usually under 150 yards. I use a 62 grain Nosler partition bullet. I usually shoot Doe with it where I take headshots most of the time. But I do take some broadside shots just be very careful of shot placement and give them ample time to lay and bleed out.

I've shot a dozen or so deer with the 22-250, another half dozen with .223.

The .223 works great with 55 gr soft points. I've dropped some big blacktails with my cousins lil H&R. Hit good the tracks showed where they go easy and no trouble to trail em less than 40 yds. Not much blood trail tho.

The 22-250 is awesome, I've used 60gr Hornady spire pts and 60 gr partitions. They both work great and kill well. The partition penetrates really really well. My longest shots were lil over 200 but I'd go longer if need be.
I've had partitions penetrate 3/4 length of deer a couple times. Even on a huge blacktail buck shot at 200 at a slight quartering to angle, entered by point of left shoulder and I found it under the hide of the right ham. Weighed 45grs.

I bought my nephew one last Christmas and have loaded up some 53gr TSXs for him. I went with that LF bullet after a thread on the 24hrcf on fav deer cartridge n load, where it popped up numerous times from folks all over and they loved em.

Son culls deer on large game ranch with 22-250 and suppressor: 60 gr Nosler partition or 63 gr sierra SMP. Keeps shots to about 100-150 yds and hits the heart. In seven years all have been one shot DRT kills. 37.5 grs H380, CCI BR-2 Primers and Lapua brass, about 3450 fps--very accurate. If he know he's shooting further he switches to 6.5 CM.

People need to realize that many of the testimonies in this thread above refer to the 223. A comparison with a 22-250 with a 14"-twist barrel is invalid.

The 223 typically came in 12" twists 'way back when' and now will often come with 8" twists, like the Tikka in 223 that I bought last year for grandkids. Yes, the 223 in 12" and especially 8" twists will shoot most of the bullets mentioned in the thread just fine. But the 22-250 with a 14" twist will not.

The 14" twist was designed for the 22-250 in order to shoot lightweight, cup-and-core VARMINT bullets as a spectacular varmint rifle. Please do not use those varmint bullets on deer. You will certainly get mixed results from body shots.

The 22-250 with proper bullets works well on deer sized animals. In the past and with 222, 223/5.56 and 22-250 I have used 55g spires, 63 Sierra SMP, 65 GKBT, 55 Barnes, 62g TBBC (my favorite) and in fast twist, the 75/80g AMAX's.

Usually, I keep the 222 and 223's below 200 or so, but a little more with the 22-250. The 75/80 AMAX loads in my 9" and 8" twist 22-250/AI's can push out a little more, and with precise hits, performs on deer size animals similar to many of my 243/6mm's

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills
Head shots only

LAHunter,
That cartridge and bullet will work fine, though less than ideal. I like to work for ideal situations but be prepared to succeed with far less. That being said, ….. I've tested that load/cartridge out on northern whitetails years ago. The double lung pass thru (via the scapula) was indistinguishable from my regular .270 result.

On a related side-bar, I lived in Idaho many years and I was shocked at how many elk are killed by ranchers and their sons with a .22-250

I defiantly would NOT shoot deer with a soft nose or frangible from that cartridge due to the high impact velocity. It can and does work, but.... As this thread indicates, the result of a misplaced or less than ideal shot could be bad. Bullet construction and impact velocity are key. I have seen too many examples hot .270 and 300 WSM soft nose loads almost vaporize on close range impact with northern deer (front shoulder gone, but nothing enter the vitals. )

For soft nose or frangible bullets used on deer with impact velocities approaching 3000 fps, a bullet that is "heavy or caliber" is the mojo. (hard to do with a .22 bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.