22-250 for deer/antelope

JohnyRingo

Can anyone recommend a 60 grain bullet for my new 22-250 for deer and antelope? My new rifle had a 26" barrel and a 1:9 twist. My old 22-250 that I just sold shot Hornady 55 grain VMax's great with a 1:14 twist. The Berger Stability Calculator said that the 1:14 twist was marginally stable but the 1:9 is very stable for these 55 grain bullets. The problem is that in Wyoming, you need to shoot at least a 60 grain bullet for big game. I plan on having my son shoot his first deer and antelope with this rifle in a few years. I've only shot Nosler and Hornady handloads and they only make 70 grain bullets for deer. According to the Berger Calculator, both of these are marginally stable. What 60 grain bullets are out there for big game?

Look at Swift Scirocco Bullets and a Nosler Partition Bullets.

Swift has a 75 gr that should work well.

I have a 26" 1:9 twist 22-250. Shoots Berger 75vld 3340fps great. It has killed over 50 deer and many hogs. Never had an exit but never had anything go over 20 yards either.

Look at Swift Scirocco Bullets and a Nosler Partition Bullets.

Swift has a 75 gr that should work well.

This or the 70 grain nosler accubond if they're ever released.

I have a 1:8 22-250ai that shoots 60-80 grainers really well but didn't likes the Sciricco's. I'm waiting till the new accubonds come out myself

This is great info fellas. I gotta wait and see how big the detachable magazine is on my new Browning when it gets here next week. I wouldn't mind trying some of these longer bullets, as long as they fit in the magazine. I do have some time to experiment because my son is only 6 and I have 200 rounds of 55 grain VMax's to shoot up.

I shoot 50 grain v-max out of my 223. I loaded up some 60 grain nosler partitions for the kids to shoot years ago. They landed pretty close to each other. So you might try that before you shoot all your v-maxs.- You mite get lucky.

Shouldn't be an issue with oal as long as it's not a micro action, which I don't think Browning makes. With a 1.905" case, you would need almost an inch of bullet outside the case to become an issue. You will be fine to grab a few heavies to test out. My 69tmk load is exactly 2.505" at the lands in my 8t 22-250, and I'm running about 2.600" with a 75gr ELD-M in my 22-250 AI.

I'd look into the Barnes or wait on the Accubond's. The Accubond's should be in line price wise with the Swifts also, will just seem cheaper since I'm sure they will be 50 counts rather than Swifts 100.

I know someone who hunts with a 55 grain core lock and has dropped a number of deer.

I would probably try a 55 grain bullet but it has to be at least 60 grains in Wyoming to be legal to shoot deer or antelope.

I like the 69grain Matchkings out of my 1-9 CBI 22-250 barrel but I have never shot any deer only yotie dogs and targets. They now make a 69grain Gameking that I would like to try one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.