deer hunting with a 22-250

hvac guy

What would be a good over the counter bullet for deer hunting(80-150lb) in the 200yd range? thanks for your help.

Nosler hunting ballistic tip, Barnes, anything with a bonded type bullet. 223 guys seems to put them down pretty hard with 52-55 grain bullets.

I agree with Nimrodmar10 on the Federal 60 gr Partition. Shoots very well out of my Rem 700 and performance is excellent! Longest shot for me has been 290 yds, bullet entered behind left front shoulder at a slight angle and lodged under the hide on the opposite side. Perfect mushroom and a very dead buck! Just stay within the cartridges limits and shoot with confindence!

The Partition works good, Remington soft point works very good, Berger works great, Ballistic tip is very, very poor unless head shooting or out past the 400yard range. Been using a lot of the Bergers lately!!!

The partitions would probably be the safest bet. I use 55gr. Vmax in 223 with great results. Ido how they would do at close range with the 22-250 speeds but ive shot a couple at 25 yards in the shoulder and dropped them on the spot with 223. In the 200 yrd range i would recommend them before the partitions. The ballistic tips don't hold together on impact as well as the Vmax from my experiences. Once the Vmax penatrates the hide it blows up and turns the vitals into pudding! Ive never had trouble with them penetrating but I have had problems with the ballistic tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.