22-250 for deer?

I'm sorry do disapoint you but Yes I shoot that 22-250 1000 PLUS yards and hit the target every time, standing and Running. I've had a gun in my hands since I could hold one at 3 yrs old. I shoot a lot and I know my guns. I'm not a weekend shooter I live in Montana and Eastern Montana we have very long shots in the hills for BIG Muley's and Big White Tail. plenty of Coyotes and Fox, towards the middle of the state and further west we have BIG Elk. Unless you have hunted with me don't tell me that I can't shoot that 22-250 1000 Yards. I hand load every round and always the same load. I know where that bullet is going before I pull the trigger.
That doesn't say anything about a .22-250 going 4300 fps with a 53 grain bullet. What do you shoot at that is running at 1000 yds? That is some shooting.

I will say it again I have tracked more deer shot with arrows and large rifles than from a 22-250
And yes I have shot jack rabbits with my 45-70
Deer shot with arrows are supposed to be tracked. They kill by bleeding out the critter.

Those don't look to be 1000 yd shots; or 600; or 300 yds, or .... And the second went more than 30 yds after the shot. I wouldn't worry about that amount of travel at all, but the claim has been made that with a .22-250 they only go 30 yds, if that far.

A little quick math says that a 53 g vmax at 4300fps would need ~40' of lead and ~17' of elevation on a running deer (20mph) at 1k.

How many inches would the width of a crosshair cover at 1000 yd? I am scratching my head because I see no loads offered for a .22-250 pushing a 53 grain bullet over 4000 fps. 35 grains, yes. 40 grains, a few, but 53 grains from a -250 at 4300 fps, I can't find. I have found that when most people say things in hunting or shooting happen 100% they haven't actually shot all that much. If you never miss, especially at 1000 yds running or standing you could probably be an Olympian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts