22-250 for deer?

Lahunter76

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills

Interested to hear others thoughts on this, the farmer we hunt with switched to a .22-250 after shoulder surgery made his 25-06 a bit to heavy to hold up. He has killed a few deer with it using 55gr Federal Soft Points but some of them took more than one shot.

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....0-grain-vital-shok-nosler-partition-20-rounds

Load a good 70 ish grain bullet and it will kill the snot of of deer. Not sure I would shoot one past 400yds but inside of that it will be fine. I have kill a few deer with 223 55gr. I started my son with a 223 and he killed 3 deer. Stay within reasonable distances and 22-250 will be a deer slayer

We've shot a pile of deer with 22-250's, if all I shot were deer I wouldn't shoot anything bigger. I've shot a lot of 60gr soft points, kills the heck out of an elk too 300 easy. When we loaded 60 gr Bergers we would run them out to 600 ish on deer and goats and it's done an absolute beautiful job, we haven't used any other bullet after shooting the Berger, just stomps them hard!!

It will kill deer if for sure out to 200 yards. I would advise against it if your in any kind of brush or thick cover. You more than likely will not get an exit and no blood trail. If your hunting fields or open terrain you can get away with it. Nosler has recently come out with a 22cal accubond that will shoot out of slow twist barrels. Might be something to look at.

I have killed deer with Rem 22/250's with 14 twists

55g Hornady Soft point with the cannalure
63g Sierra semi point is very accurate in a 14 twist

New bullet out that is fantastic, the Speer 55g Bonded Core bullet, and it is very, very accurate!

55g use Varget

63g use IMR, H, or AA4350

A 64g Winchester may stabalize out of the 14T, I have read it but not played around with it myself.

65g Sierra BTSP will not stabalize in a 14T, nor will a 60g V max.

I have shot half a dozen deer with the rem 700 with the 60g partition, and groups are 2" to 1.5". If you hit a deer on the shoulder with this bullet, you will throw away the front half of the deer, MV of 3450 fps.

With the new bonded bullets from Speer, I think we will see more and more people using the 22/250 and variants for deer and hogs.

I went with a 22/243 with a 14 T shooting the 60g Sierra hp at 4000, tough bullet, but it destroys a deer, about the same as a 300 Win with 125g ballistic tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts