.22-250 1:14 twist Heaviest bullet?

ranger1183

Hey Friends,
I'm looking for shooters ACTUAL EXPERIENCE regarding shooting bullets 60 grains and heavier from a 22-250 that has a 1:14 twist barrel. Has anyone had success shooting heavier bullets? Or am I limited to maximum 55 grain bullets?
Thanks!

Hey Friends,
I'm looking for shooters ACTUAL EXPERIENCE regarding shooting bullets 60 grains and heavier from a 22-250 that has a 1:14 twist barrel. Has anyone had success shooting heavier bullets? Or am I limited to maximum 55 grain bullets?
Thanks!

I would say your limited to a bullet with a B.C. of .26 or less. Weight has little to do with it.
gary

The cartridge itself rarely matters with stability.
I have experience in 22cal 14tw & agree with Gary. BC is a good way to look at it too.
By +55gr you're looking at relative wadcutters to stabilize.

In my view 12tw is far more versatile in 22cal.

many years back, I'd have said a 60 grain bullet was a 60 grain bullet as long as the diameter was the same. I got a training lecture from the guys out of Fairland one day, and things almost changed instantly. It was a factor of ballistic coefficients to the twist rate and not much more. From there we can sort of tune the load by bullet location and chamber pressures (powders and primers). A lot of times it's only a couple tenths of a grain of powder or five thousandths in seating depth.

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.