Heaviest bullet for 22-250?

Crittr hope all this helps. Trick - if you saw a spiker coues , 40 pounders ( which we shoot regularly on left over tags) , first you would be underwhelmed, and you would say the 22-250 is right there . i was leaning to crittr loading the 257wm down with a 100 partition around 2850.

Our whitetail run 120-140 on does and bucks will push the 200-230 ish with one every once in a while a brusier will push the 300 mark, we kill a good number of whitetail and a couple mulies every year with 22-250's and it works great but not long range just running the bottoms though we have taken deer and quite a number of antelope out pushing the 600 yard range.

Crittr hope all this helps. Trick - if you saw a spiker coues , 40 pounders ( which we shoot regularly on left over tags) , first you would be underwhelmed, and you would say the 22-250 is right there . i was leaning to crittr loading the 257wm down with a 100 partition around 2850.

we got coyotes getting that big around here! I used the 100 grain Noslers at just under 3000 fps. Longest shot I've taken up there is about 200 yards (on deer), and the shortest was probably 30 yards. But dropped a couple dozen coyotes up there in the 300 to 400 yard area on full moon night with a light coat of snow on the ground. They like to come in on the gut piles. I think a 6BR would be the ticket on coues deer!
gary

Our whitetail run 120-140 on does and bucks will push the 200-230 ish with one every once in a while a brusier will push the 300 mark, we kill a good number of whitetail and a couple mulies every year with 22-250's and it works great but not long range just running the bottoms though we have taken deer and quite a number of antelope out pushing the 600 yard range.
I guess I should have specified deer size. Ours are the same as above. I guess maybe I should ask If a 50-55gr bullet will ethically kill a deer. I'm pretty sure I'll get various opinions on this, but will consider all replies. And again it will be a 100yd max shot. Thanx agein for of your posts.

I guess I should have specified deer size. Ours are the same as above. I guess maybe I should ask If a 50-55gr bullet will ethically kill a deer. I'm pretty sure I'll get various opinions on this, but will consider all replies. And again it will be a 100yd max shot. Thanx agein for of your posts.

I can take 7 deer a year and my buddy the same so we hit the whitetail every once in a while through the season and on a straight deer hunt in the bottoms we pack 22-250's and we've done that for about 20 years so I have no problem using it for deer and it does a great job with the right bullets and placement. If you can get a 55gr Sierra gameking to stabilize it is excellent on deer, remember it's the bullet doing the work and the cartridge just sends it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.