heaviest bullet a 1-14 twist will shoot in a .243>

James Jones

I'm looking at a barrel for a good price but its a 1-14 twist , any of you guys know if that will stabilize a 75gr V-max or maybe an 87gr V-max?

James,
If they will not stabalize I have a bunch of 66g Knights that it will probably shoot very well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You may get by with the 75s but I do not think the 87s are going to make round holes in paper. But I am no expert.
If you want to try some in a 14 twist you are welcome to come try them in my backup 6ppc. I should have two cement benches up by next Saturday, and my 900+ yard shooting lane should be finished by then also.
You are welcome to come shoot anytime. I appreciate all the info you have given me, and the great work you and 308Nate did on my .300.
I would say we would try it in independence but Mr. Don might stroke out about sending non benchrest bullets down a benchrest barrel. (I asked about shooting some amaxs one time he didnt seem to thrilled with the idea. But, it may have been because he wanted me to save my good barrel for matches)If you want I will ask him if he cares when he gets back from his PD trip on Tuesday. I am betting it is not a good week to be a prarie dog.

I'm guessing that a 1:14 will stabilize a bullet that is no longer than 0.80 - 0.85 in length in .243 unless you get the velocity way up there! Please report your results as I would like to add to my database too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edge.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking at a barrel for a good price but its a 1-14 twist , any of you guys know if that will stabilize a 75gr V-max or maybe an 87gr V-max?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 14" twist, and it will NOT work with the 75 V-Max, and it is marginal with the 70 BLitzking.

I shoot 65 V-Maxes into tiny little holes.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.