22-204 vs 222 mag vs 223 A.I.

I appreciate all the info from you guys. There's no need for us to fight, let's just give educated info from our real world experiences with these rounds. Thanks. gun)

One problem your going to run into is COAL and alot of that depends on magazine length. Rem give you about 2.390" and if your using the longer bullets like 75gr Hornady seating the bullets into the case more give you less case capacity for powder.

You may pick the ideal case you want but it may be no better than some others when you look at the rifle your going to build. You look at the 22 BR that case is only 1.520" long then you look at the 204 case @1.850".

You got on 6br site and read some of those post about the same calibers you posting about and I hope you read Hawk1 post "I like the std. 222 Magnum and run the 75 A-Max at 3,075 with RL-15 and a longish throat (2.420)COAL in a 24" tube".

The neck length on my 223AI is .2130" which is longer than the 204 not sure what it be necked up to 22cal but the 222mag is .2640" and the 223 is .2030".

Well good luck

Thanks Tom, I'll check it out. I will not be able to use the 75 gr at the Rem mag length which is what I would like to do. I'll have to find another bullet to use.

Thanks Tom, I'll check it out. I will not be able to use the 75 gr at the Rem mag length which is what I would like to do. I'll have to find another bullet to use.

My last post on this......

I use a 223 magazine, pull the rear spacer, use a full length 308 length machined follower narrowed up in the middle to get the clearance needed to run in the 223 box. I run around a 2.550 OAL using my reamer with .060" freebore. Ammo feed like shitt through a goose.

From now on I think I'll just say I'm shooting a 223 and skip the hassles........

alf, your 22-204 is killing me. Every website I go to I see it (grin)

You know I LOVE my 223AI's and they would likely be the last rifle I gave up, but I'm kicking around the idea of building a 1-8"tw 22BR now. I'm thinking I could like that one very much.

:)

Explore the 22 Dasher........more better..........

I think the "Dasher" is done. On more than one target shooting boards the folks are moving away from it due to throat life and case problems. In 600 yard shooting the BG and a couple others are now drawing most of the interest. With a .35" long neck the BG should be a 2000 round barrel, and most target shooters are seeing less than 1200 rounds out of the Dasher. But the real killer is case life; many only get three firings out of a case. Kinda like the latest flavor of the month, and there'll always be something better waiting in the wings.
gary

I went through the same senero and decided on the 223 AI for many reasons.

All of these rounds are very similar in performance and with ammo cost being a big
factor today. I chose the 223 AI because you can buy good ammo for less than $10.00
a box and fire form while shooting/hunting.

I also bought some Fine Lapua brass for the realy accurate long range shooting loads.

I built my rifle on a Sako S 491 action (Very small) and it shoots factory ammo at less
than 1/2 moa while fire forming to 223 AI.

I use a 1 in 8 twist Lilja and it likes everything from 40 grains to 70 grain bullets (I have no
desire to use heaver bullets).

The AI will add 100 to 150 ft/sec to the 223 Rem and dies and reamers are standard items
therefore are much cheaper.

As I said the others are great rounds but the 223 AI matches them in performance and
it is the easiest and cheapest to shoot.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Hi guys new here from New Zealand.
Now all due respect I dont think alot of you are giving the 22-204 its dues.
It has been used down here very effectively and out of shorter barrels than what you guys are using. 3100fps is achievable with the 90 grainers. Its an easy conversion with great results. Heres a link to a guy down here that plays with them a bit.
Super Lite 22 Terminator
22 Terminator 1-7 Twist

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.