22-250 vs 223 Ackley

midgetorama32

Debating on these for a varmint gun for a Savage to shoot 75 and 80 gr A-maxes. Can anyone list the pros and cons.

Pros for 223 AI as I see it, less powder, less barrel heat, more barrel life, less case stretch

cons for 223 AI, less velocity, fireforming brass, die availability, finding a barrel

Thanks.

Both are great rounds in there own aspect.
I've been working a bit with my 223AI lately and am really enjoying it.
Like you pointed out, less powder, less barrel heat, more barrel life, less case stretch.
Brass is dirt cheap and fireforming loads is still putting the rifle to good use.
I'm getting 3060 fps shooting the 75gr Amax's which isn't no 22-250 velocity, but still is no slouch.
Lee dies are currently available at a very modest price and most Smith's can rechamber a factory 223 barrel into a 223AI if thats the route you choose.

Either will do, the lack of good brass available for .22-250 is a point for .223AI

fwiw I went .223AI because it's cheap to run, a bit milder, can get lapua brass, and I'm running 75gr amax at 3000+ fps which is plenty fast enough for me

Fireforming isn't a chore, I went and shot rabbits with my fireform loads

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.