.223 vs .223AI

Was just looking on Broughton's site and they make a 1-13 5C That just may be what I'm looking for.

What do you all think for length? I can't decide between 24 and 26.

think of it this way:

the case capacity of a 250 Savage is about ideal for 23" of length. But a 24" barrel is far more common. A 26" barrel will work just fine, but the powder will be burnt long before the bullet leaves the barrel. You just do not need it. But the greater factor is not barrel length, but harmonics of the shockwave traveling the barrel. We often go with heavier barrels to counter act this, and it helps to a certain extent. (that's why bench rest shooters often use 1.25" profiles 21.75" long). A typical #7 contour barrel will be 2.75 times more ridgid at 21" than it will be at 26"
(per Dan Lilja). A 24" number 7 will priobably be around 30% stiffer; thus helping to reduce bad harmonics (a major factor in accuracey). If it were me, I'd order in a strait 1" tube 24" long. This should give you an even better figure than the normal #7 contour plus gain the rigidity of the the heavier profile.
gary

Because my Remmy LTR already has the big barrel channel I was actually thinking about using one of Bettin's or ABS carbon wrapped barrels.

Not sure how much stock you all put in Quickload but after running the numbers, per Quickload, there is only about 50fps difference between the .223ai and .223 I used multiple bullet weights in the mid 50's range and used powders that kept load density right around 100% give or take and kept the pressures the same for both. I compared 24 vs 26 barrels with both too.

I used theSAAMI .223 and .223Ackley Imp. from their list. Quickload also showed another .223 Rem but the working pressure for that one was over 62,000 psi so I didn't use that one. Not sure why it showed so much higher PSI and the case capacity was the same as the SAAMI .223

Because my Remmy LTR already has the big barrel channel I was actually thinking about using one of Bettin's or ABS carbon wrapped barrels.

Not sure how much stock you all put in Quickload but after running the numbers, per Quickload, there is only about 50fps difference between the .223ai and .223 I used multiple bullet weights in the mid 50's range and used powders that kept load density right around 100% give or take and kept the pressures the same for both. I compared 24 vs 26 barrels with both too.

I used theSAAMI .223 and .223Ackley Imp. from their list. Quickload also showed another .223 Rem but the working pressure for that one was over 62,000 psi so I didn't use that one. Not sure why it showed so much higher PSI and the case capacity was the same as the SAAMI .223

My fire forming loads are 26.3 of xbr,50gr blitz king. Fromed loads are 28.5gr xbr,50gr blitz king. Fire formed loads have about a 3 inch drop at my 300 yrd zero. Just some real world data. Agian it's. Not a huge increase but with the volume shooting I do the fact I don't trim cases is all the incentive I needed plus you can shoot factory ammo in a pinch

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.