.204 vs. .223 vs. 22-250 head to head results

stvnbrg

so took some time to compile a head to head ballistic trajectory of three of the most popular varmint cartridges. The data was found as follows:
First i selected three bullet weights for each caliber, except the .223 which i selected four due to the wide range of options in that caliber. I selected a light weight, medium and heavy weight in each caliber. For one of the graphs I took a 40gr bullet in each caliber to compare apples to apples, and see what slings the same bullet the best. Next i went and found the maximum loads for each bullet weight and caliber and found an average velocity for every max load listed. Following that i researched the bullet particulars such as B.C and bullet length. Its extremely difficult to properly compare two pr even three cartridges, but this is, in my opinion, a pretty accurate representation. what do you think of the results?? the second graph is quite a bit to look at, but its the only way to really compare properly.

Attachments

• 3 cartridge trajectory.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 712
  • Mutiple Trajectories.pdf
    130.9 KB · Views: 454
Pretty cool. I like graphs that shows comparisons like that. For me its hard to decipher from each one on the second graph because I'm somewhat color blind. If each line was differently drawn like: ......./ ___ / .._.._ / ---- />>>/ or something like that, it would be a little easier for defects like myself to compare. I like it though.

I think a 10mph wind comparison for each load would be interesting too.

Man nice work probably took you a fair bit of time to work that out good on you. Don't take this the wrong way as I am not being rude or nitpicking but your comparison of 40 grain bullets is not really apples to apples if ballistic coefficents are different for all 3 bullets. Matching ballistic ( or as close as possable) coefficents are going to give you a much more accurate data with drop and drift values.

Man nice work probably took you a fair bit of time to work that out good on you. Don't take this the wrong way as I am not being rude or nitpicking but your comparison of 40 grain bullets is not really apples to apples if ballistic coefficents are different for all 3 bullets. Matching ballistic ( or as close as possable) coefficents are going to give you a much more accurate data with drop and drift values.

+1

The difference in BC is to great, awesome graph though. I think with some tweaking of similar BC and showing a graph with wind drift will really allow you to see what combination dominates, those 40 gn .224 pills are going to dance like a banjo picker from Mississippi.:D don't leave out the .223 wssm, yea barrel burner but wow!

probably be a fairer comparison if you took bullets of equal bc and shot them at max velocitys for each round. Or even compaired what normaly is used in them such as 55 grain in the 22250 and 50 in the 223 and 40 in the 204. About all your really showing there is that bullets of better bc fly better. Good to know info though.

ya it definitely took a bit of time thats for sure! The idea to compare similar BC bullets in each caliber is a good one ill take that on as my next project!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.