210g VLD's

remingtonman_25_06

210g VLD\'s

I got a box of Bergers 210g VLD for my 300 RUM to try out for accuracy. I think I'll test them at 200 or 300 yards. Dont have any data for 210g bullets, so I thought I would ask and see what people are using for the 210's?? I am usally using H-1000 in my RUM, but I do have a little Retumbo as well. I will probly load them up today and go shoot tomorrow. Was just hoping to get a few responses as to where I should start for an accuracy load. Thanks.

Re: 210g VLD\'s

I'll have to look, but I think I was shooting 94.5 gr of Retumbo behind a 210 gr. This load was a little hot. Once I shoot what I have loaded I won't load them this hot again. Shoots good though, .5" @ 100 yds.

Thanks guys. I loaded up a couple test rounds with each powder tonight. I loaded up 86 and 87 grains of H1000. As well as 89 and 90 grains of Retumbo. I dont know if I'll be able to cronograph anymore, its around 25 degrees and my crony dont work under about 35. Hopefully I can get around 3100fps with .5 MOA What kinda velocity were you guys getting? Where were you seating the bullet in relation to the lands?

I don't have a chrono, sorry wish I could help you there. I started with them jammed .020 into the lands. Judging from how these shot and from other experiences I have read, I think the bergers definitely need to be in the lands a bit. I haven't messed with the bergers since that, I'm sure tuning that seating depth would have brought some smaller groups. They were grouping around 1" at 320, so definitely a good load but I wanted something for hunting season I could kill deer with so I quit playing with the berger and went to the matchking.

If I could get 1" at 300 yards I would be a happy camper. I will even be pretty happy with 1 1/2". Usually if my load will shoot 2 inches at 300, I'll save it as a pet load. Keep in mind I'm shooting factory rifles with nothing more then trigger jobs and free floating barrels. Really wish I could see what I could do with a custom job. Will have one coming soon soon.

Mine were some 210 gr Wildcats. They were seated .010" off the lands. I was getting about 3290 fps out of a 30' Lilja. Again, this load is too hot. Problem is, this is where my accuracy was. I would have had to drop down to about 3100 fps to find another accuracy node. When I worked up this load I was still a little to caught up w/speed.

I tested a couple loads with the 210g VLD yesterday afternoon. I did not get to cronograph as it was to cold for the thing to work. I suspect it will be to cold to crono these untill spring, unless we get a warm day. Anyhow, I loaded up 2 test loads each with a different powder. H-1000, and Retumbo. I put 86 and 87 grains in for H-1000. Then I did 89 and 90 grains for Retumbo. I used Fed 215 primers with an OAL of 3.8" I think there just touching the lands. I shot them at 200 yards, heres what I came up with. Rifle is a Rem 700, 300 RUM with Leupold MK4, 4.5-14x50. Trigger work, bedded/floated.

86g H-1000--2.1" 2 were .5" and I know I flew the 2nd shot flyer because my fingers were so cold I could not feel the trigger. Will load up 5 and shoot at 300 today.
87g H-1000--3" even spaced about 1" apart.

89g Retumbo-- .75" First 2 were touching, 3rd was a little flyer. Will load up 5 and shoot at 300 as well.
90g Retumbo-- 2.5" Not very good.

I think I will take the 86g H-1000 load and the 89g Retumbo load and load them each with 5 shots this time instead of 3, then I will shoot them at 300 instead of 200. I should find the winner there. Hopefully that .75" retumbo load will shoot around 1 inch at 300. If so, I think I found my load already. Just want to make sure I have a good clean break on that H-1000 load to. Might have to start the car and put my hands over the heater. Will post my results at 300 when I get back!

Just got back from the range with my 300 RUM and 210g VLD's. I was testing the 86g H-1000 load against the 89g Retumbo load at 300 yards. This time I did 5 shot groups. I did not cronograph because I believe its to cold for it to work still. Heres the results at 300 yards, comparing the 2 loads. I think I'm gonna pick the Retumbo load and work around it. The 86g H-1000 load printed a 4.75" group and all the shots were evenly spaced about 1 inch apart. Not to good, not to bad either for 5 shots anyways. I was hoping for better. 89g of Retumbo put 3 shots into .7", then I had 1 flyer to the left about 1.5", then I had another flyer to the right about 2". The 5 shot group was 3.75" So it was 1" better overall for 5 shots, but I did have a 3 shot "cluster" there of .7" I was really happy about that, but got my head scratching on the 2 big flyers. I think the Retumbo load is going to be more accurate overall, so I think I might tinker a little more untill I find my final load.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.