Differences between 210g hunting and 215g hybrid target (.308dia)

Sod Farmer

I frequently hear about the 215g Berger being used as a hunting bullet. I think that the major difference between these bullets (aside from 5g) is the thickness of the jacket and a slightly different ogive. Am I correct in thinking that the 215g bullet would be a better bullet at closer ranges (higher velocity) because it would be less likely to fragment prematurely than the lighter jacketed 210g hunting VLD? Conversely, would the 210g hunting VLD would be more likely to be effective on game at longer distances (lower velocity)?

It is not my intent to stir the pot on the reliability of Berger bullets. If you feel the urge to bash, please do it elsewhere.

I frequently hear about the 215g Berger being used as a hunting bullet. I think that the major difference between these bullets (aside from 5g) is the thickness of the jacket and a slightly different ogive. Am I correct in thinking that the 215g bullet would be a better bullet at closer ranges (higher velocity) because it would be less likely to fragment prematurely than the lighter jacketed 210g hunting VLD? Conversely, would the 210g hunting VLD would be more likely to be effective on game at longer distances (lower velocity)?

It is not my intent to stir the pot on the reliability of Berger bullets. If you feel the urge to bash, please do it elsewhere.
I would say, if anything, its just the opposite
The 215 has a very large hollow cavity (about . 4" deep) which helps it expand better at distance but MAYBE is more explosive close up? The tips tend to be more open on the 215 also.

elkaholic -
Thanks - - - - I learned something today. That might explain why I read about so many people using the 215g hybrid for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.