2 guns 2 calibers. Need some advice

As always, lots of good advice. I doubt if you could go wrong with either the Savage or the Remington. Both are highly regarded. I have always gone Remington and have no regrets. It would be nice if you could get some trigger time behind a couple of these beforehand, or at least see what feels better at a local gun shop. One thing I would try and do is pick a model that you could get both of your chosen calibers in. Theres a lot to be said of not having two drastic models with different stock profiles. Right now I am mostly shooting a model 700 5-R Milspec in 308. I can't say enough about how well this gun performs, and the caliber allows for plenty of practice time without breaking the bank or burning barrels. I also have a Sendero in 300 RUM that will be here later this week. This will be for a little better range but overall the same profile as the Milspec. I also have a lightweight pack rifle which is another 700 in 300 WM that is bedded in a McMillan Edge stock. This was a standard 700 that had some accurizing work and is a one hole gun as well. Nice to carry all day at 6-3/4 lbs. It sounds like you're on the right track with this, good luck.

+1 wouldn't buy standard Rem 700 for anything much beyond a few 100 yards.

Would you care to elaborate on such a claim? I have seen factory Remingtons shoot out to 1000 with very good results!

So if you wouldn't buy a Remington, what would you buy?

-X3M

I vote for a Savage in 6BR and a 7STW in a sendero.Just 2 of my favorite guns that i use.

Would you care to elaborate on such a claim? I have seen factory Remingtons shoot out to 1000 with very good results!

So if you wouldn't buy a Remington, what would you buy?

-X3M

You might find one in a rare while that is a good LR rifle but by far and away, the standard 700's are not at all precision rifles. They will typically shoot in the 1-2 MOA range and now and then you might get a sub MOA shooter.

Bottom line is, that buying a standard 700 is rolling the dice and the odds are stacked way against you.

I would buy a Sendero or a Sub MOA Vangurd first and a Savage before a standard 700.

X3MHunter, Just so there's no misunderstanding my post says standard Rem 700, such as 700 BDL it's a roll of the dice on what you get...I know I learned the hard way. I've bought a few and 1-2 moa was doing good. Had another one that was worse and decided to shoot a borescope down it and one of the grooves disappeared midway down the barrel. I then spent a reasonable amount of time researching sites such as this and have come to find out a fair amount of folks feel the same way. IMHO if your going to shoot more than a few 100 yards and expect decent accuracy then you may want to set aside a chunk of $ to have the gun (std) rebarreled and smith'ed

+! with ATH with one small exception I think the 300WM much beyond 800 yards is kinda pushing it.

I don't think we're disagreeing, I think I listed 900yds max for hunting with the 300WM? My Sendero maintains AB expansion velocity pretty much to 900yds on the nose at elk hunting altitude so that's where my drop chart ends. Perhaps a 210 VLD would squeeze a few more yards out of it.

Regarding factory rifles -- I will condition this by saying I'm not the type of guy who has cycled through a ton of rifles, I tend to buy them and keep them, tweaking is a hobby of mine. In the past couple years I've worked on an Rem XCR, a stock tupperware SPS, and just this week a Savage 243 WalMart package gun. So far I'm shooting 100% on getting sub-MOA out of factory rifles. I thought that Savage had me but I had no pressure signs so I upped just another 0.2gr and bingo,consistent .6-.8" groups. Usually I get there with load development; the Savage also got stock work before load development. And most guys on here are probably a lot better at the science of reloading than me.

Perhaps there are a lot of crappy guns out there I don't encounter, but I think many of them would surprise people if they just put a little (cheap) work and time into them. Most may not live up to a Sendero (mine averages .5 MOA) or a custom LR rig, but for the price they are hard to beat and will out-shoot most new-to-the-game LR shooters.

ATH, no disagreement, I see your point about squeezing the last bit a HP out of it.:)

Well, I have yet to come accross a Remington 700 that won't shoot under 1MOA, and I have shot plenty of them, specially standard Remingtons, like the SPS, and I hardly think it's luck. I think Remington builds a very accurate rifle out of the box from what I have seen. I started shooting F-Class with a stock Remington LVSF in 7mm-08 and was very competitive at 600 yards using 150 gr. Matchkings.

-X3M

Well, I have yet to come accross a Remington 700 that won't shoot under 1MOA, and I have shot plenty of them, specially standard Remingtons, like the SPS, and I hardly think it's luck. I think Remington builds a very accurate rifle out of the box from what I have seen. I started shooting F-Class with a stock Remington LVSF in 7mm-08 and was very competitive at 600 yards using 150 gr. Matchkings.

-X3M

I dont consider an LVSF a standard 700 rifle. They have better (heavier) barrels and stocks. I've also heard that the Senderos and like Remington rifles get actions that have been sorted. If this is true, it means the other style 700's are getting the "unselected" actions.

I'm not doubting your good experiences, but you just do not see folks bragging about how well their BDL or SPS shoots. You will see dozens of threads of very satisfied Sendero and Savage shooters. To me, that indicates a trend.

My thinking is if you're going to get a 700, get one that is built as a LR plattform and is a proven performer as evidenced by many testamonials.

Mark

X3MHunter, Again, Just so there's no misunderstanding my post says standard Rem 700, such as 700 BDL it's a roll of the dice on what you get.
What results have you had with the BDL? And would you recommend it?

Also You said:

"Well, I have yet to come accross a Remington 700 that won't shoot under 1MOA, and I have shot plenty of them, specially standard Remingtons, like the SPS, and I hardly think it's luck. I think Remington builds a very accurate rifle out of the box from what I have seen. I started shooting F-Class with a stock Remington LVSF in 7mm-08 and was very competitive at 600 yards using 150 gr. Matchkings."

Based on your personal experience then would you also reccomend an SPS or
a LVSF?

Yes, I would recommend any Remington. A friend of mine bought a SPS Varmint for his 15 yr. old son in 7mm-08 (my advise on caliber) that shot 5/8" groups at 100 yds. with factory ammo. My dads SPS in .223 shot 3/4" groups with Barnes TSX's handloads. My 7mm-08 LVSF shot 1/2" groups with 150 gr. Matchking handloads. And my friends XCR in 300 RUM shoots 3/4" with 168 TTSX handloads. Have also shot BDL in 30-06 that shot just shy of an inch with factory ammo and also shot another in 270 ADL that shot about 3/4" with NBT handloads. And last and not least is my old 264 Win. Mag. ADL Synthetic that shot 1/2" with 129 SST handloads. These are the ones that I can remember, again, none shot over 1MOA at 100 yds. Plus a ton more at the range of people asking me for help when sighting in, specially the 308 PSS.

So that's why I say Remington is the way to go, plus if you shoot the barrel out you have a great action to build on.

-X3M

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.