180 partition range report

gordonl

Finally got to hit the range testing the 180 partitions
Using IMR 4350, 22in Browning X bolt

I got a good group, 1.3in at 100y with 56.0gr, so well with in minute of deer.
Im estimating that at about 2700fps...any one that has a similar set up please chime in!

I would like to get it a little faster and tighter group, would any one with experience with the 180s recommend pushing it above max (56.5)? This is going to be my big game load, and for hogs!

The partition is a flat based relatively low BC bullet so getting it to shoot sub MOA is going to be a chore and require a lot of tweaking and tuning.

I have a dear friend that shot nothing else for over 30 years using H870 in an early 70's 700BDL that always seemed to shoot like a laser beam. His skill as a rifeman and patience/skill at reloading made him deadly with it.

I know he had multiple kills on elk, white tail, mulies and coyotes with it exceeding 750 yds and that's way past what the bullet was designed for.

Good luck.

You can get a lot done with that.

Sounds like a 30-06?

There are more consistently accurate bullets. I always had better luck start to finish with the 200 grain Partitions.

So long as you're not seeing pressure signs like flat primers, ejector marks or heavy bolt lift I'd go up half a grain at a time.

Awesome thanks guys!
I want to see if I can get it at an inch, that will make me more comfortable for the long range shots. Ill try to go up a little bit, I got one flattened primer but the rest looked good. Im thinking just over max and see if I can get a smaller group

Yes I am shooting a 30-06, m old work horse!! for some reason I can't leave it for a"better" caliber hahaha

The partition is a flat based relatively low BC bullet so getting it to shoot sub MOA is going to be a chore and require a lot of tweaking and tuning.

I've read many times that flat based bullets should be easier to get to shoot accurately. Isn't that why short range benchrest bullets are mostly flat based?

I have only found a couple loads my 30-06 likes, one is the 180 grain partition in the Federal Premium factory ammo. I have been using 1800 fps as a minimum for expansion to get the max range for game. With a .464 BC and velocity of 2700 fps it basically matches the .308 with a 175 Matchking and 2650 fps, which I have fired thousands (if not 10's of thousands)...and still do. I would not hesitate to shoot deer, elk, moose, etc. with this bullet in a 30-06. I'm leaving tomorrow for Colorado to hunt elk and will probably take this rifle/load combo as an emergency backup. My emergency rifle means something I can purchase factory ammo for almost anywhere.

I've read many times that flat based bullets should be easier to get to shoot accurately. Isn't that why short range benchrest bullets are mostly flat based?

I have only found a couple loads my 30-06 likes, one is the 180 grain partition in the Federal Premium factory ammo. I have been using 1800 fps as a minimum for expansion to get the max range for game. With a .464 BC and velocity of 2700 fps it basically matches the .308 with a 175 Matchking and 2650 fps, which I have fired thousands (if not 10's of thousands)...and still do. I would not hesitate to shoot deer, elk, moose, etc. with this bullet in a 30-06. I'm leaving tomorrow for Colorado to hunt elk and will probably take this rifle/load combo as an emergency backup. My emergency rifle means something I can purchase factory ammo for almost anywhere.
All of our high BC bullets are boat tails. Something about the boat tail itself makes the bullet more stable in flight.

I can't speak to the bench rest shooters but my guess is that you are talking about the guys shooting the itty bitty calibers many of which only or mostly come in flat based bullets.

I don't know if it's still the same today but back in the seventies and eighties when we were loading boat loads of .17 Rem's for varmint hunting there simply were no boat tails around at least none that we could find. We had to shoot the old original Barnes X in it to keep bullets from flying apart and/or shucking jackets in flight.

My dad's buddy that reloaded for him was a guy who didn't hold much with advertised maximum loads and always pushed them at warp 9 and nothing else would hold up.

Found a good article on accurate shooter discussing the big difference in the performance of flat base and boat tails.

It boils down to good flat based bullets with an aerodynamic cone perform well at short range because they tend to be more accurate at supersonic speeds.

They become much less stable however at long range especially when you approach the transonic and subsonic range.

Yes Sir, I am aware of what your last two post described. I was asking about your comment about boattails being more accurate, and if you have experienced such. My experience is that flat based bullets are generally easier to load for than boat tails, especially aggressive VLDs with super long bt and ogives. I load ammo for several hunter's and a couple guys that want to shoot long. For the hunter's I generally start with a decent-proven flat based hunting bullet, for several reasons: shoot really well, not intended for maxing out the cartridge/rifle/shooter's ability, and are cheaper to shoot (I usually end up eating some, if not all, of the cost). Can't say that for the intended purpose a boat tail bullet would shoot any better.

Yes Sir, I am aware of what your last two post described. I was asking about your comment about boattails being more accurate, and if you have experienced such. My experience is that flat based bullets are generally easier to load for than boat tails, especially aggressive VLDs with super long bt and ogives. I load ammo for several hunter's and a couple guys that want to shoot long. For the hunter's I generally start with a decent-proven flat based hunting bullet, for several reasons: shoot really well, not intended for maxing out the cartridge/rifle/shooter's ability, and are cheaper to shoot (I usually end up eating some, if not all, of the cost). Can't say that for the intended purpose a boat tail bullet would shoot any better.
I've found the opposite to be true. I don't load for any VLD's but lots of other boat tailed bullets and find them easier to load than similar flat based bullets. The BT just make them easier to get seated without catching or binding or shaving brass.

I haven't loaded for any flat based bullets since Hornady came out with their boat tails in the .22 cal which I load for 220 swift.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.