1000yd range-7mm vs. 338 Lapua

In all seriousness, my gunsmith tried to get me to go with a 28 nosler for my long range rig. I built a 338 RUM and I don't regret it. It is way easier on the barrel and hits like a hammer. I run a different break on it when hunting, but with the APA FB Gen 3 I can spot my own shots. How the gun is set up makes a huge difference.

Am I correct saying energy retained at that distance is around 400 ft lbs ?
No sir/mam. It's over 1600 FPS and just over 800 ft lbs energy. More than enough for elk. These numbers are calculated at 6000 ft above sea level where I hunt elk.

I like what someone else said on here about they don't show the miss haps on the outdoor programs. I have seen that video and a 7mm Mag is more than capable of killing an elk but I am with you. If a 1000 yards is the intended range the power of a 338 would be my choice over the trajectory of a flat seven. Watched a guy shoot a moose with a 28 nosler at 600 broadside, behind the shoulder, it took three shots to expire the animal. The bull acted like the first shot was a bee sting. I just don't know how ethical it is to shoot something with a caliber that lacks the minimum needed energy for that animal at a given range. 338s for the most part take to long to get there, which is another issue. I personally would most likely opt for a fast 30. 300 RUM etc.

The op stated he was looking at a 338 Lapua but if it was going to double as a hunting and long range rig, I would opt for the 338 RUM, which is what I did. It is my first choice for all things Alaska.

In full disclosure I have never been a fan of the 7mm rem. It is my least favorite cartridge. Don't own one and most likely never will. Got a friend who owns one and talks about it all the time. He has killed everything on planet earth with that thing. A Browning BAR he has owned for 40 years. Guy is the Jack O of the 7mm rem and doesn't mind letting you know.😂 Killed way more than I ever have, but like me never found the need to shoot anything beyond about 650 yards, just because we can. Any way he is the reason I don't own a 7mm rem that and I prefer the 300 WM. A little rivalry goes along way!🤣🤣🤣 I want own a 7mm rem! Ever!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!😁 It's the principle of the thing! A man has got to stand for something!😂😂😂
I can respect that. Your shooting what you are comfortable with. Just like I said. Nothing wrong with that.

In all seriousness, my gunsmith tried to get me to go with a 28 nosler for my long range rig. I built a 338 RUM and I don't regret it. It is way easier on the barrel and hits like a hammer. I run a different break on it when hunting, but with the APA FB Gen 3 I can spot my own shots. How the gun is set up makes a huge difference.
Totally agree!! Shoot what your comfortable with. 338 RUM is a awesome round.

This is my chart I made and use for long range hunting. When I do my part this chart has never failed me. Kinetic energy as follows for Deer-600, Elk-800, Moose 1,000. Use your bullet manufacturing minimum FPS for proper expansion also. Meaning you may have the FPS at distance but you will not have the kinetic energy. Some people may not agree with this and some will. That's your choice and there is nothing wrong with that. Its what I'm comfortable and confident with so thats why I use it. It may not work for others. It works for me though.

No sir/mam. It's over 1600 FPS and just over 800 ft lbs energy. More than enough for elk. These numbers are calculated at 6000 ft above sea level where I hunt elk.
Interesting. I used several ballistic calculators and plugged in 140gr Nosler Partition-BC 0.49 leaving @ 2800fps and velocity at 1250yds average across 3 calculators is 1092 fps & 372 ft. lbs. energy-sea-level. Reran calculations at 6000 ft. elevation and velocity is 1296 fps & 523 ft. lbs. energy. Just curious, what variables your plugging in and or how are you calculating and arriving at your numbers ?

Interesting. I used several ballistic calculators and plugged in 140gr Nosler Partition-BC 0.49 leaving @ 2800fps and velocity at 1250yds average across 3 calculators is 1092 fps & 372 ft. lbs. energy-sea-level. Reran calculations at 6000 ft. elevation and velocity is 1296 fps & 523 ft. lbs. energy. Just curious, what variables your plugging in and or how are you calculating and arriving at your numbers ?
Use 140 Grain Berger VLDs 2975 FPS .600 G1 BC. NP are junk at long range. They need very high velocity for expansion. At least that's my experience with them. The 260 Rem is about 150 ishFPS faster than the CM. A lot of people will argue with this and that's ok. " I don't have the magic pixie dust Reloader 26. But when I hand load using H4350 and H4831 SC the 260 holds just under 150 ish FPS over the CM both rifles with same baller lengths. That's just my experience. My 6.5 CM I can only get 2870 FPS. I can get 3020 FPS from my 260 but the accuracy drops some. So I stick with the 2975 FPS. In that case it's only 100 FPS faster than the 6.5 CM.

Last edited:
Use 140 Grain Berger VLDs 2975 FPS .600 G1 BC. NP are junk at long range. They need very high velocity for expansion. At least that's my experience with them. The 260 Rem is about 150 ishFPS faster than the CM. A lot of people will argue with this and that's ok. " I don't have the magic pixie dust Reloader 26. But when I hand load using H4350 and H4831 SC the 260 holds just under 150 ish FPS over the CM both rifles with same baller lengths. That's just my experience. My 6.5 CM I can only get 2870 FPS. I can get 3020 FPS from my 260 but the accuracy drops some. So I stick with the 2975 FPS. In that case it's only 100 FPS faster than the 6.5 CM.
Makes sense. I just grabbed 140gr NP to run numbers. The BC difference alone makes a big difference, thanks for explaining.

Makes sense. I just grabbed 140gr NP to run numbers. The BC difference alone makes a big difference, thanks for explaining.
Yes sir. People have their go to bullets because they have had good experiences with them. So they will go to that bullet and the data will not make sense. I've done that plenty of times myself. I just want everyone to have a good hunt.

I'm not a video except by any means, but here is something I did a while back. It's a Thomson Center 7-08 single shot pistol. It's all factory. No mods including the 10 lb trigger pull ( LoL ) is factory. I can't remember what red dot site was on it but man it was hard to see it as hot as it was outside that day. Hope everyone enjoys.

I'm not a video except by any means, but here is something I did a while back. It's a Thomson Center 7-08 single shot pistol. It's all factory. No mods including the 10 lb trigger pull ( LoL ) is factory. I can't remember what red dot site was on it but man it was hard to see it as hot as it was outside that day. Hope everyone enjoys.

Thats a heckuva SHOT!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts