1000yd range-7mm vs. 338 Lapua

Stick with the 7mm less kick means less jerk.
If you are not going to elk or anything bigger the 7mm is hard to beat.
If you have a 7mm Rem Mag try 140 gr. Nosler Ballstic Tip with 67 gr. of IMR 4350. Its a little hot but it shoot half inch groups in all seven of the 7mags my dad and I own.

Good morning to all. This is the info I have and can give you. HSM ammo now loads the 168grn Berger VLD. That bullet has taken more game at 1000 plus yards than I can count. And that was on elk. Go to www.longrangestore.com. Im sure you have heard of it on this web site. They have the 180grn too but the 168grn does just fine. I have all of there videos and have done everything they said to do. The two rifles they use are the 6.5-284 140grn VLD and the 7mm rem mag 168grn and 180 grn vld. Bothe of them have taken elk over 1000yrds. Watch there videos there pretty cool. Im not saying the 338 Lapua is better or worse but the 6.5 and 7mm will do the job just fine. Dead is dead in my book so why shoot a 338 with all that recoil whin its not going to kill anything more than the other two rifles. Like i said dead is dead. All three rifles have 1000 lbs of energy at 1000yrds thats plenty. And thats at 1000 feet above sea level. Those numbers go up the higher you go in altitude. Whitch is where the elk are. My little 260 Rem has enough to drop elk at 800yrds and dear size game at 1000yrds. Thats what the people from gun works told me. I hope this helps.

cc7mag, What are the other components you are using with the 140 NBT in 7 mag? I am using 140 NBT & RL 19 powder now to break in a Sendero 7 mag. I would like to try your load. I have IMR 4350 powder in the cabinet and I am to use the load I settle on on pfonghorn in a couple weeks. Thanksl

Good morning to all. This is the info I have and can give you. HSM ammo now loads the 168grn Berger VLD. That bullet has taken more game at 1000 plus yards than I can count. And that was on elk. Go to www.longrangestore.com. Im sure you have heard of it on this web site. They have the 180grn too but the 168grn does just fine. I have all of there videos and have done everything they said to do. The two rifles they use are the 6.5-284 140grn VLD and the 7mm rem mag 168grn and 180 grn vld. Bothe of them have taken elk over 1000yrds. Watch there videos there pretty cool. Im not saying the 338 Lapua is better or worse but the 6.5 and 7mm will do the job just fine. Dead is dead in my book so why shoot a 338 with all that recoil whin its not going to kill anything more than the other two rifles. Like i said dead is dead. All three rifles have 1000 lbs of energy at 1000yrds thats plenty. And thats at 1000 feet above sea level. Those numbers go up the higher you go in altitude. Whitch is where the elk are. My little 260 Rem has enough to drop elk at 800yrds and dear size game at 1000yrds. Thats what the people from gun works told me. I hope this helps.

Sorry to have to do this to you but someone has to tell you---you would be much better off speaking about what you know rather than what you read in hunting magazines, the internet and from good ole boys who build rifles and may or may not know what they are talking about. You really are making a fool of yourself making some of the statements you have about 1K hunting in general.

Question --- how many times have you even fired a rifle at 1k? Before you answer, your post's have already provided that information. The reason that I am responding to this is that some Moron may actually believe that a 6.5x284 with the 140 to 142 pill is adequate for ELK!!

Just stop digging yourself in deeper but I will admit it is funny…

I'm glad I found this thread. It reinforces my thoughts why I NEED a .338 in my arsenal. I was considering letting it go and move back 7mm STW for all work.

What 7mm chambering is he referring to. I can think of no 7mm factory offering that would offer better on game performance at 1000 yards then a 338 Lapua. Ballistically, sure they may shoot flatter with the velocity edge they have over the big 300 gr SMK but terminally they would not compare.

Then add to that the barrel life issue. The Lapua would be nearly twice that of rounds like the 7mm STW and RUM

As far as accuracy, if both are loaded with quality bullets there should really be no real difference in accuracy potential.

The key here is on game performance. If your hunting deer only, the larger 7mm will work great out to 1000 yards. If you are serious about elk, I would not even consider anything other then the 338 Lapua given the choices you have.

Kirby Allen(50)
Im here because I love to hunt and shoot long range.But people that think a 7mm Rem Mag wont kill a elk is as bad as my Uncle that was a guide in WY thinking my 270 Winchester wouldnt ring down an elk at 600 yards,.The Elk took 2 steps and rolled down the hill. It is all Shot Placement. Dead is Dead...LOL

Im here because I love to hunt and shoot long range.But people that think a 7mm Rem Mag wont kill a elk is as bad as my Uncle that was a guide in WY thinking my 270 Winchester wouldnt ring down an elk at 600 yards,.The Elk took 2 steps and rolled down the hill. It is all Shot Placement. Dead is Dead...LOL
I'm with ya. People forget where this " Longrangehunting.com " webs started. I thought I'd share this video. That's a 7 Mag 180 grain Berger bullet. I have all the episodes from when John Burns started out on Best Of The West.

Here is another great shot from a 7 Mag 180 grain Berger Bullet. The 7 Rem Mag and 6.5-284 and even the 243 Win got all these long range hunting shows started.

Last edited:
Like others have mentioned, once you decide your priority hunting or competition then the decision may become a little easier. Kirby is spot on. At 1000yds hands down a 338 launching 300grs @ 3000 fps packs a lot of muzzle energy. In fact you may want to email Kirby and pick his brain. He will give you top notch advice once he understands for what purpose your build is for. Kirby built me a 338 Allen Xpress and I couldn't be more pleased and impressed.

The 7mms have their place. I shoot 168s at 3000 fps and they kill elk well, but they get their butts kicked in the wind. Its got to be pretty calm or you have got to know you wind holds really well even at midrange. It would have to be really good at 1000 to even consider the shot. The 338 is in a different class, I dont care what the apps say the heavier bullet gets moved less even if the BC on the light bullets says they are equal. Shoot more, read less.

The 7mms have their place. I shoot 168s at 3000 fps and they kill elk well, but they get their butts kicked in the wind. Its got to be pretty calm or you have got to know you wind holds really well even at midrange. It would have to be really good at 1000 to even consider the shot. The 338 is in a different class, I dont care what the apps say the heavier bullet gets moved less even if the BC on the light bullets says they are equal. Shoot more, read less.
Fact is that the 338s improve your shooting on the longer shots for hunting. And the bigger the case the better it gets.
But if all your shots are going to be under 1000 then there are lots of good choices.

Do you know what happens to the videos that dont end well? Well if it was me making the shot and video I would share it so that others may learn from it. I do know that some of the videos I've seen from these guys they said they didn't want to share it because it was too violent. Kids watch these shows so I'm understanding of this. I remember when a woman tried to sue Brian Pigman Quaca from the hunting show " Pigman " so what did he do? He showed more blood. LoL!!! Now he did not show vitals or exit wounds on all his kills because I believe hunting shows are for all ages. I'm sure the television channel network will only allow so much. These people are willing to share the good with the bad shots I'm sure, but are controlled by the network. There are hunters out there that shoot deer in the head and get upset with me because I made a 1000 yard kill shot on a deer and they tell me I'm not ethical or humane. This could go on and on. Let's not forget though. This is a long range HUNTING sight and not a bench rest shooter sight. A lot of people seam to forget that on here. If people don't like longe range hunting than I would suggest another sight. I'm not knocking bench rest shooters in any way what so ever. I want to be very clear on that. I thank a good shooter is one that knows their limits. Everyones Limits are different. If they were not, this world would be very boring. Good luck in your endeavors.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.