338 Edge vs 338 Lapua, which one?

pythonwill

Im working on getting into the long range scene. I have been saving $$ and gathering parts to build a new gun. Its taken me a year to get all the stuff I have collected now and Im about ready. I have a McMillian A-5 stock, SS Lilja 30" fluted #8 contour barrel 1:10 twist, Jewel trigger, Williams bottom metal, and have a SS 700 magnum action. I am thinking on getting a Stiller Predator or Lawton 7000, but havent saved that much yet. I have been planning on a 338 Edge but recently some friends have been trying to talk me into a Lapua insted. Just wondering what you guys would do if you had the choice and why. If I go with the Lapua I will definatly get the new action, if I went with the Edge I think I will just use the 700 action for that. Scope rings & bases will come later in the game but for now this is what I have to work with right now. And I will more then likely be sending it off to Kirby to do the work on it. Im just looking for the pro's & cons of each. Thanks in advance
Will

The edge and the Lapua are similar in performance, but I am almost certain Kirby will not build you a lapua on a stainless steel ation, because stainless is not quite as tough as chrome-moly......

Really, the only differene is brass I believe. Your going to pay out the *** for Lapua brass, vs rem or nosler brass for the 338 EDGE. Granted its better quality, but I dont think its worth more then 3x, especially when theres really no added FPS performance.

My dad just took his rem 700 up to Shawn this last sunday. Plans are to screw a 28" hart Stainless/fluted w/DE brake. Keeping the factory LSS stock and everthing else. Plans are to shoot the 300g SMK around 2850fps. This will be more then enough rifle for what were wanting it for, a packable rifle that will easily allow us to thump elk/black bears to around 1200-1300 yards.

I would go with the EDGE, but thats just me. Paying close to $2 a piece for brass is not worth it IMO.

God, you have love this argument and the logic behind it.

Let's put this in perspective.

Someone will spend $$2500-3000 on a custom gun then says the "big issue" is an $80 difference for quality Lapua brass that lasts 4-6x minimum over $80 cheaper Remington brass. Rem brass for RUM is $80 a hundred vs $176 for Lapua from Sinclair. I have loaded 338 Lapua Improved over 15x. Who has got 15x reloads out of the RUM case at those velocities?

Are we "pole vaulting over mouse turds" here?

There is no denying the Edge is a great round, particularly in a 700 action, but is it the round of choice in a top end custom built, maybe custom action?

It might be, but the deciding factor sure should not be the cheapest component of a high dollar system, ie "cost of brass". Truthfully, IMO the RUM is really not cost efficiant when you compare cost AND longevity. At the end of the day, the RUM is more expensiven no questions. That still does not mean you should not choose the EDGE, just that cost of brass should not even be in the equation.

Now the Lapua certainly needs a different action which will cost more, but not really when you factor the money spent tricking out a 700. Plus the custom will be worth what you paid for it and will not lose 50% of its value the moment you leave the gunsmiths door.

Build what you want and need, but do not delude yourself into some false "cost effectiveness" on brass cost. Do it for the right reasons.

BH

1+

The cost of brass is a very small item in a big custom gun.
I use the 338 lapua brass necked down to .30.
It is very good brass and holds up well.
How much do you plan to shoot this gun? 500 rounds of brass will probly out live your barrel.

CAM

I agree that the Brass is a non-issue. You should just look at the round itself. I own a 338 Lapua, but the Edge is great round. Better performance with a 300 smk.

Shawn Carlock is a great gunsmith too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Something to think about.

Pythonwill, I would go with a 338 Lapua Mag and Improve the case. The improved 338 Lupa Mag will out perform the 338 Edge. You will be much happier with the 338 Lapua. You can get a Lawton 8000, 1.60 Dia. Action for $800.00. You will be much happier with an action of this quality. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Wildcat

I wasnt really concerned with the brass to be honest, I was just looking at perfomance. My buddy was saying how much better the Lapua was then the Edge and I didnt really know much about the Lapua so I thought I would ask the pro's and here I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I go with the Lapua I will have to get the new action and it will just be a little longer wait is all. I just want to have it ready by this time next year for spring bear season so I should have plenty of time to get an action if I go that route.
I think Kirby told me that he would build a Edge on the SS action but he didnt want to build the Lapua on a SS Rem 700 action. I already knew that & thats why I was going with a custom action if I went with the Lapua.
Thanks for the input, now I just need to know what the difference in ballistics is for the Two

[ QUOTE ]

Now the Lapua certainly needs a different action which will cost more, but not really when you factor the money spent tricking out a 700. Plus the custom will be worth what you paid for it and will not lose 50% of its value the moment you leave the gunsmiths door. BH

[/ QUOTE ]

Lapua's can be and are being built on Rem 700 actions....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WoW! $800 for an 8000 receiver? can I get them through you?
On their web site it says $1100.I do get a discount as a smith, but no-where near the $800. I am guessing you meant the 7500 as that one is $775 plus shipping ($22)

The 338 will a little more powder than the 338 Edge about 6 grains or so, The 338 Edge will feed from the Remington factory magazine,thus making it possiable to untilize the Wyatts longer magazine box of 3.9". The Lapua will not feed execpt with a single stack detachable magazine such as the Badger with a lenght of 3.64"or so... The Lawton and Surgeon actions or set up for the detatchable box magazines and this is how the 700 actions have to be set up as well...
Nosler is making 300 RUM brass and it is of good quality, probabley not as good as the Lapua brass..... I went with the Lapua and Shawn Carlock is doing the work and I am useing the M-700 action......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lapua's can be and are being built on Rem 700 actions.......

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, questionable stuff is done all the time. Sometimes it is all right, other times boo boo happens. How much is your face and eyes worth?

Read this article from Dan Lilja on large cartridges in 700 actions. Now he has a lot of experience and testing to back up his claims.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/custom_actions/378_weatherby_remington_700_action.htm

Now to put this in perspective the Lapua is only .004 less in case body diameter than the two cartidges Dan is talking about.

Now Jerry Stillers TAC 338 and Predator Etreme are built for the 338 Lapua and are $875. Both are worth $875 when you leave the gunshop and not $400 like your 700 is after you have $1000 into the action and modifications.

Do what you want, but doubt you can factually say that it is "safe" or even highly advised, only your butt has not been blown up yet. Nor does it mean that it is even smart or cost effective.

BH

I have read that article before. Remington had M-700 338 Lapua at the Vegas shot.Shawn Carlock is building mine and it is not his first..............

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.