Zeroing on short ranges? Newbie stuff...

rdash

Although I've been shooting for many years, I am just starting into longish ranges. In UK ranges tend to the short as we rapidly run out of land. I have a 200 yard range at home, and the nearest official shooting range (Bisley!!!) is a couple of hours away. Are there any short cuts for zeroing for 350-400yds+? A touching faith in ballistic tables might be one way, but I have no experience of the efficacy of this. Rig to be used is HS Varmint in .223, silenced, with Zeiss 6-24x56. Fields I will be shooting in are not really suitable for putting up stop butt etc and 5 round strings might be thought not neighbour friendly despite silencer. This is major consideration given very awkward position occupied by shooting in this country.
Grateful for any suggestions.
Regards
Rdash

I agree on the ballistics table use... Check the values from a 100 yard zero to the tested 200 yard values against the computed trajectory sheet but for 300 and 400 yards you won't be too far off.

barreledaction
Suppressors are legal in a great many places in the U. S., all that's required in many instances is State review and/or approval then Federal approval and payment of a $200 fee. Be careful when moving from state to state as some states require notification, some states allow supressed weapons for hunting and other do not even though supressors may be legal in that state.

Hi rdash,welcome.
Where abouts are you? I am exactly 100 from miles Bisley and 101 miles from Minsterly where i shoot.
Have you read my thread "great news range re-opens".

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

S/W of Salisbury! Thanks for answers. Unfortunately, startup will be later than planned, as I omitted to order mounts with the rifle. Rings I can find or already have but mounts?No gunshop in Hampshire has any so it's either Bisley for Jubilee meet or Sportsman's at Dorchester. Meaniningless for the US folk, but 100 miles in UK can take 2 1/2 hours. Worse this Friday as it's a holiday weekend.Aaargh!
Regards
Rdash
ps Ian, pass through Northants quite regulalry on way to shoots in Lincolnshire. Hare bashing that way in July

rdash,
Would that be a HS Precision 223 rifle? either way, my self and most others on this forum would recommend a picatinny rail with matching rings, Badger and Leupold are very popular but dont bother trying to buy them here,bring them in yourself from the states, its cheaper, its quicker and you get what you ordered. Email me if you want more info.
(email address is under my profile)

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Center punch, i import Badger, TPS and Ken Farrel in to Germany, usualy cheaper than importring direct to UK due to the high UK import charges if the customs stop the package.
let me know if i can help out.
Pete

rdash "Meaniningless for the US folk, but 100 miles in UK can take 2 1/2 hours"

I've heard it said that the difference between the UK and the US is "In the UK 100 years is nothing but 100 miles is everything. In the US 100 miles is nothing but 100 years is everthing". It it amazing how we view distance and time differently. My daily commute is 125 miles round trip, and I have driven 1000 miles to shoot rats (the folks in Kansas call them prarrie dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Doing 100 miles to shoot isn't a big deal if you consider the option of not shooting, but then that isn't an option is it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.