Xp100 7mm IHMSA - Range day for load workup

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

Wow... I just got back from the range and everyone and their pet cow Bella is out to sight in their rifles for deer & elk season.

I worked up some loads for the 7mm IHMSA XP-100 I just got... All factory except the mount and scope. Used H4895 from 32.2gr to 33.6gr on 140gr Nosler BTs... Coal of 2.670 and base to ogive of 2.100.

33.4gr seemed to be the best for accuracy and does have some snap. I'm definitely no benchrest pistol shooter, but I'm confident that if this load holds over my next round of tests.... It'll make a splendid deer load, though I think I'll pickup some accubonds and verify with those.

I have to admit... I was stoked when I left the range!!!gun):D. The guys to my left and right all shooting rifles weren't getting groups even close to what this lil xp was doing. Everyone wanted to check it out. Not one of my other pistols or rifles ever got a crowd like that... Crazy. Most wanted to hold it and look down range which I obliged. Just wished I had made some extra rounds so that they could have fired one or two as well. Next time!
image.jpg

I had a XP-100 that started life as 7br and was converted to 7ihmsa
When I bought it I planned on rebarrelling it but it shot so well I never changed a thing
Typical of the XP-100

Good shooting,

As hairtrigger said, typical accuracy from an xp-100. I have several xp's that will shoot into an inch or better on a regular basis at 300 yds.
Has the xp bug bit you yet?:D

-Mike

When I was buying it, I actually considered going with .284 winchester or 7-08, because I kept reading how 7mm ihmsa rechambered from 7mm br weren't done correctly and that bulges in brass were common with those done this way. This one seems to be just fine on the brass... And I'm happy enough with the ballistics that I am definitely going to just leave it as it is. My stock does touch uo front on the right side... but it seems not to matter at this juncture with respect to accuracy.

To be candid... I've absolutely been bit. I honestly can't believe I'm getting this kind of accuracy from a 14" barrel. Wow!

Appreciate the support I've gotten from lrh folks like yourselves. My favorite site online

When I was buying it, I actually considered going with .284 winchester or 7-08, because I kept reading how 7mm ihmsa rechambered from 7mm br weren't done correctly and that bulges in brass were common with those done this way. This one seems to be just fine on the brass... And I'm happy enough with the ballistics that I am definitely going to just leave it as it is. My stock does touch uo front on the right side... but it seems not to matter at this juncture with respect to accuracy.

To be candid... I've absolutely been bit. I honestly can't believe I'm getting this kind of accuracy from a 14" barrel. Wow!

Appreciate the support I've gotten from lrh folks like yourselves. My favorite site online

LRH is a great site.
For the die hard specialty pistol guys, this is the place to go:D
Specialty Pistols Forums

-Mike

LRH is a great site.
For the die hard specialty pistol guys, this is the place to go:D
Specialty Pistols Forums

-Mike

Lol... Thanks Mike. I'm a specialty pistols forum member, but LRH... well it's just hard not to keep coming back. Guys like all of you have made me a better hunter, shooter, and reloader. I owe a lot to this site and all of you.

The specialty pistol site used to be great but that was a couple years ago. Still going but now about money, not the love of handguns anymore

The specialty pistol site used to be great but that was a couple years ago. Still going but now about money, not the love of handguns anymore

24 hour campfire feels like that to me also... There's still good info to be found, but lrh feels more genuine in its members interest and love of shooting/hunting etc. I always learn something new... And enjoy trying to help those that request help when I have some input which my prove useful.

24 hour campfire feels like that to me also... There's still good info to be found, but lrh feels more genuine in its members interest and love of shooting/hunting etc. I always learn something new... And enjoy trying to help those that request help when I have some input which my prove useful.

Too bad you guys feel that way about SP.
I've made several very good friendships the last five years on SP with folks all over the country. We get together to hunt and shoot on a regular basis. -Nothing to do with money at all. We just love building and shooting our pistols:D.....
Jboscobuys, have a great season with your new XP-100 gun)
Hope to see some pic's of bucks & bulls!

-Mike

I agree there are great guys at SP.
There are a fraction of the people that used to post and hang out there
Unfortunate that it happens but have seen it at several forums

I just joined this forum. I recently bought a Wichita mk 40 in 7mm ihmsa. Shoot silhouettes and will use this gun to deer hunt this year. I just tried out a load of 34.6 grains h322 with a speer 130 fp. Wasn't able to chrony yet but hope to next week.

I just joined this forum. I recently bought a Wichita mk 40 in 7mm ihmsa. Shoot silhouettes and will use this gun to deer hunt this year. I just tried out a load of 34.6 grains h322 with a speer 130 fp. Wasn't able to chrony yet but hope to next week.

I haven't gotten mine over the chrono yet either... but hoping to sometime this week or weekend. I did notice that at 33.6 gr of h4895 ... that it looked like my brass had some ejector sign on one piece. I'm still thinking about running it at 33.4 though because the primers... though a little flattened... didn't muffin out on me... and it was a pretty accurate load.

That would be sweet Ted if you get a deer. I'm confident that this gun will be more than up to the task and I hope I can get one in my sights within 250 yards. I'm gonna cap my limit there until I have more time to spend behind it.

Good luck... and please post your results if you bag one!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts