WY units

Does anyone else have any imput? I would request if your not providing info about post to not post please. Settle what ever differences through PM's

It's a shame this thread went downhill,I was also hoping to pick up some local input before deciding on a draw unit for this March.Like midwesthunter I'm 1000 miles away so scouting is out of the question and nothing beats local knowledge from those who are kind enough to pass it on.midwesthunter if you see this drop me a PM,I'll be happy to share what limited info I have! Cheers,Monashee

Send me a PM if you need any help and we'll eliminate any more problems on this thread. I might not live in Wyoming, but I've hunted out there for **** near 20 years and think I know my way around more than enough to help you make an informed decision!

Of the three 74 would be easier to hunt and get a better buck.
48 would be a zoo to hunt without paying someone and 73 has a lot of ground even an antelope wount use, not a bad choice if you know the area though!

I hunted 48 last year. I saw one hunter drive by in a truck, other than that, nothing but me, the wife, and Antelope. I hunted the end of the season. I wouldn't hunt the opener regardless of unit.

We are thinking of these units in this order as of now, could change. 74,48,73 what are your thoughts?
I would put the areas in a little different order...74,73,48. I have hunted antelope off and on in 74 for about 30 years. I also know the vast majority of the landowners with large holdings in area 74. Many of them are friends of mine.

I am not real familiar with 48, but I do a lot of predator hunting in 73 in the western half of the area. Area 73 would also be a good choice, but I prefer 74.

There are some spots in 74 that are out of the way and they hold good numbers of nice bucks. There is about a 99.99% chance that you could get a shot at an "all time" Boone and Crockett buck if you are so inclined.

It is a shame this thread went South so fast. If you draw in 74, get a hold of me and I'll give you a hand with where to hunt and with access information to private property.

midwesthunter---That sounds like some great information and one heck of an offer that I would take in a heartbeat! YOU THE MAN Mr. Ankeny!!!

Many times you can get on a ranch for free to fill doe tags. I'm going to say around $200 is probably a ballpark figure to shoot a buck.

Thanks for the info. Looking into options since we won't be having a antelope season here again and probably no chance of drawing a deer tag for rifle.

Brent

Call the F&G Office and CofC Office in Gillette and get a list of ranchers in unit 23 that allow access for a fee. You can do that quickly and find a ranch right away that you can lock in a hunt with. As far as the tags, there is no hurry and you can buy them after they go on sale OTC in July because that unit always has hundreds of leftover tags after the draw because it is mostly private property. It has a ton of goats also because of that and you'll also save the $14 application fee by going that route. Pick up a couple leftover doe tags in July for $34 a piece and take a lot of meat back to ND with you since the does need to be thinned out! The ranchers will like that and you will have a better chance of getting on a place if you tell them that's also in your plan!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.