Worked up a load for 300 RUM 200 gr AB IMR 7828ssc

sambo3006

I worked up a load yesterday for my Rem 700 LSS 300 RUM 26" barrel with the Nosler 200 gr Accubond. New Rem cases, Fed 215GM primer, COAL 3.64" (max mag box length). I used IMR 7828SSC powder. I am above the Nosler listed max, but bolt lift was easy, primer was not overly flat and no extractor marks on case head. Temp was at least 85 so I feel pretty good about this load.
88 gr for 3058 fps
89 gr for 3115 fps
90 gr for 3174 fps
91 gr for 3205 fps

I stopped there. I was hoping for 3200 fps as there are several guys on this forum getting that velocity from a 26" barrel, but I would have stopped at a lower charge if pressure signs were present.

With the long 200 gr AB seated so deep to function in the mag, slower powders like H1000 and Retumbo were crunching when I seated the bullet. I don't have a drop tube.

I have gotten stellar accuracy and very good velocity out of the 7STW, 7mm RUM and 338 RUM with 7828. Didn't have the chance to shoot groups, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be an accurate load. It ought to be pretty rough on what ever critter is on the receiving end!

Glad that you are on your track towards success.

Hint on no drop tube: After powder is charged, before bullets are seated with cases in the tray, vibrate the tray by tapping it. The vibration will gain you a little.

I have never tried any powder in my 300 Rum but Retumbo and WC-872. The crunching sound doesn't bother me and accuracy was outstanding with both powders. I got 3250 with Retumbo and a little less velocity with WC-872

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.