Winter Kill, Southern WI hit hard!

Coyboy

I just talked to a friend who lives in Dane County. His brother Pat lives in Iowa County.

Pat lives about 1/2 mile off the blacktop and seen a buck fawn laying in the driveway the other night. He had to drag it out of the way. The next morning it was still laying there so he put it out of it's missery. Sees a a doe bedded down about 50 yards away, walks up and pets it. Puts that one down also.

Last weekend Pat and his brother go to cut more firewood and find 3 dead deer in the crp grass where they fell a tree. Long way to green up so many more will go down in the next 30 days.

Aparently heavy snows with mixed rain created quite a layer of ice in the snow preventing easy access to crop fields. The lack of clear cutting in the lower third of the state prevents undergrowth and winter browse.

Here in the central forest we recieved slightly less snow, the freezing rain mostly missed us. The deer seem to be doing ok. Other than the 5 that keep comming into my yard and eating my arborvitas. They may be living on borowed time!

The one thing we have going is a healthy pulp market, so the loggers help keep browse on the ground.

Anyone else have any reports. This stuff is nice to know because next year the DNR will tell us the heard is at a record 2.2 million!

Coyboy

I'm in Rock county and we have/had much of the same. It wasn't uncommon to see deer out in the middle of the day pawing at the ground trying to get through the snow and ice to find food.

I have also had several people I know that live in the country or outskirts of town that are complaining about deer knocking over bird feeders and eating the contents.

We're supposed to get 6-10" of snow tonight and tomorrow, with any luck it won't be around long, I think the wildlife could use a break.

I left 15 acres of corn out on my land because i couldnt take it off after deer hunting because of the snow. It is completeley gone i was not happy about not getting it off, but now i am glad because the herd by me seems to be pretty healthy. (15 acres is about 2500 bushels of shell corn)

went looking for sheds and found 5 dead deer. guess my corn didnt save them all.

I'll be planting trees with my brother and his friend in a couple weeks. Be interesting to see what we find. Western Iowa county.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.