Winchester Model 70 WSM will not sight in

johnnyc4

2006 I bought a model 70 synthetic stock, does not have hinged floor plate, stainless barrel, using Simmons ATV 4-14 scope. I have used laser bore sighter, shooting Federal 130 Vital Shock. 100 yards. I cannot tell if it is the gun or the scope. Need some exerienced hands if anyone out there is having or has had a problem with this make and model rifle.

We tried today at 100 yards. Shooting from a shooting rest/vice. Once it was on paper it seemed like the rounds went all over an eight inch target. Finally after 8 rounds we gave up.

Spread of each round was about 5 inches. Some were high then low, One shot was right on the horizontal for bullseye but maybe off 1 inch to the left and the next shot was high 4 inches but inline verticley with the previous round.

I'm open to suggestions.

c4, first, welcome aboard, it's a great place. when something is really bad, it's usually not hard to find the problem. i would check all the scope mounting hardware, then i'd put a scope on it that i knew was good. i'm bettin the problem is outside the gun.try this and let us know if it's any different.

2006 I bought a model 70 synthetic stock, does not have hinged floor plate, stainless barrel, using Simmons ATV 4-14 scope. I have used laser bore sighter, shooting Federal 130 Vital Shock. 100 yards. I cannot tell if it is the gun or the scope. Need some exerienced hands if anyone out there is having or has had a problem with this make and model rifle.

We tried today at 100 yards. Shooting from a shooting rest/vice. Once it was on paper it seemed like the rounds went all over an eight inch target. Finally after 8 rounds we gave up.

Spread of each round was about 5 inches. Some were high then low, One shot was right on the horizontal for bullseye but maybe off 1 inch to the left and the next shot was high 4 inches but inline verticley with the previous round.

I'm open to suggestions.

Johhny C,

Welcome and Merry Christmas to you.

I would first check the mounts and rings and make sure they're tight. Then take Dave's advice and put a known good scope on it and give it a try. Also, even though it's a synthetic stock check to make sure the barrel is free floated and not contacting the stock. Slide a piece of paper or a dollar bill under the barrel the length of the barrel channel. If it's touching those are areas that will need to be sanded so you remove that contact point.

I'm betting you use a new scope, remove all contact points and it will start shooting. My bets on the scope that is on it, but with that light weight barrel any contact points will create other accuracy issues.

Best of luck, keep us up to date on your progress.

Johnny,
I did have a similar problem with a Win 70 a couple years back. A guy who worked with my 1st wife "gave" me one in .30-06, he was moving up to the city somewhere in Md. and wouldn't be needing it (I suspected something was going on). It had a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope with solid mounts and rings, I think they were Leupold also. Anyway, I decided to load some 150gn NBT's for it. I know these bullets are usually produce good loads/groups.
After about four powders and just as many primers, several different bullets, all of which produced produced accuracy no better than about 1.0-1.5" 3-shot groups at 100yds, I decided to look elsewhere for the accuracy culprit. The barrel was touching near the end. It was Winchesters half-@ss attempt at a pressure point. There was also this same clear epoxy around the recoil lug. I tried it without the pressure point in the forend and it was no better. I gave the rifle back to the guy.
I know this isn't much help, but I think Winchester had a lot of quality issues during the last few years and a lot of their M70 rifles were leaving the factory that wouldn't shoot worth a nickle. The laminated Coyote in .270WSM I have now shoots great though! Good luck and Merry Christmas. JohnnyK.

I had a problem like that with a Remington. It was the scope. I am no expert but I think you said that you were at 100 yards. I concentrate on 25 and 50 yards until I have a great group and then I move to 100 yards and so on. Then I am working on the paper all of the time. Just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.