Winchester Model 100

Marshlander

I have a question for the gunsmiths out there. My son-in-law has a Winchester Model 100 in .308 that I've been working on for him. The barrel's forend stud is 'dove tailed' into the barrel on this rifle. I have done a pillar and bedding job on the recoil lug and forend. I also free floated the barrel on the rifle and have had to epoxy (temporary fix) the forend stud in place to keep the barrel from sliding side to side in the dove tail. All of this has helped the accuracy considerably. We've gone from a 2.5" - 3" three shot groups at 100 yards to a legitimate 1 - 1/2" group with 180 grain Hornady ammo. It didn't like the 150 grains at all. I feel that we can improve this and increase consistency by having the forend stud welded in place. The rifle belonged to his Grandfather (his namesake) so, he is really wanting to kill a deer with this thing. I contacted a local gunsmith about welding the forend stud but, he recommended silver solder. What would you recommend for the best fix? I've even considered using Devcon 10110 but, I wanted to get some opinions before I go that route.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.