will having wiped an oily gun oil rag down my new laminate stock have damaged it?

mustardtiger56

So, I came back from the range on Friday after zeroing in my new rifle( Browning X-Bolt Varmint Special) and after a thorough cleaning and oiling I wiped the stock down with an oily rag of Osters gun oil. Now today I realized my mistake and am worried that I may have damaged/softened the stock by wiping it down with oil. the stock has zero imperfections and a nice smooth factory finish, so could the oil have even penetrated the wood? If so could just wiping it once have caused any measurable damage to the woods hardness? Am I worrying unnecessarily?

thank you all for any replies

I always wipe my laminate Savage stock down with gun oil. Have not had an issue. If your stock doesn't have a polyurethane finish on it. The gun oil should be protecting the stock by stopping it from drying out and stop it from absorbing moisture.

That's what I do anyway...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts