Will elevation affect pressure

As mentioned, a change of altitude (atmospheric pressure)... is no causative factor for higher cartridge pressure.

Look elsewhere for your source of elevated pressure.
How many grains of, StaBall were you using ?
StaBall HAS, a "Burn Rate" like 4350 and could be, pressuring up with, those 195's !
Hogdon calls for,.. 66.3 gr's with, 190's and 65 grs with, 200 grainers.

How many grains of, StaBall were you using ?
StaBall HAS, a "Burn Rate" like 4350 and could be, pressuring up with, those 195's !
Hogdon calls for,.. 66.3 gr's with, 190's and 65 grs with, 200 grainers.
I'd have to go back and find my data but I wanna say low 60's

The wet case theory is interesting, that round that jammed my gun was in my pocket and I was sweating heavily that day. We hiked about 4 miles in some pretty deep snow.

I bet you're running a fairly warm load. Water on cases or in the chamber can dramatically increase pressure. I 'discovered' this during an NRL race gun match when it was pouring rain. My zero pressure 6BR load started having bolt lift issues. I'd bet 20% or more of the competitors had issues with some being unable to run through a ten round stage without locking their bolt.

Wetted cartridge exterior does not increase chamber pressure.
It can increase bolt thrust, as the friction between the chamber wall and cartridge exterior is reduced. Allowing the casing to exert a greater force against the bolt face.

Sure, that may be the true reason. But the end result is a sticky/stuck bolt and reducing the load eliminates it. At least in my experience.

I've done, several Late Season, Snow / Rain and very Cold, Hunts, in Idaho, Wyo and Northern Arizona. I keep My .270 WSM ammo, in a spare Tikka Magazine, in a plastic Sandwich Bag ( in Coat Pocket ) to AVOID ammo getting Wet and I always Hunt with, a Dirty "Fouled" Bore covered with, Elect Tape over Muzzle. Any Cleaning ( Like JB's Paste ) Oil or, grease Residue in Bore and Chamber ( Except, normal Powder and Copper Fouling ) CAN,.. Raise those, chamber Pressures !
I work-up my Loads, in the winter / early Spring and Re-Test them again, in the August Heat for safety. I've noticed My Accuracy comes in BEST at, 1/2 to a full Grain Under, tip Top, Max Loads, usually.

Last edited: