Will 55gr Bergers take to a 8" twist BBL

I loaded a few for my 22/6.5x47L and the five or six I fired held together accuracy wasnt that great at 3850ish

Eddybo

22x6.5x47L What is the "L" represent? 3,850 is that top end of velocity ? Where do you get brass for that? What about 75gr and 80 gr bullets ,how fast can you push those? What powder? What was the name of your 3rd grade grammar school teacher? LOL

Most of the time when one uses an 8 twist 22 cal barrel it is to stabilize heavy bullets, 75 to 80+ grains. I have a 22x6mm imp 8 twist and I can't keep 80gr Bergers from vanishing somewhere between the muzzle and the target. Went to 80gr SMK's and all is well now.
I would move up to a heavier bullet in that 8 twist barrel, if you are looking for pure speed find a bullet with a thicker jacket than the Berger, the Sierra Match Kings are made with a thicker jacket that the Berger's or A-Max's.
Good Luck
Dave

punctuation, spelling and capitalization a pain when replying from my phone....am sure my 3rd grade teacher would be proud...proud that I am not incarerated somewhere.
L does indeed stand for lapua...it is just a 6.5x47 lapua necked down. performance basically mimics a 220 swift, but with small primers.
plus one on the 80 smks.

I can't say for a .22-250AI... tho I sure am interested in the answer myself ;)

I can say that I have a couple .223 1-7" twist and a 1-8" twist that shoot 52gr SMKs into little bugholes @ ~3000-3100fps. Thats just an 'accuracy' load, not a 'red mist' load... though it does tolerably well at putting the ixnay to little furry things too.

Try the bullets and see... I for one would be interested in hearing the results. I'm guessing you might not be able to and/or want to push quite as hard as you would in say, a 1-12" or 1-14" twist, but I don't see why they wouldn't work at all...

Monte

For the glory of CV California I will

I'm going for the gusto at Chabot Public rifle range in Castro Valley Ca.I shot some JLK 65gr VLDs and 1/3 of them fragmented just before they made it to the 100 yard target. All kinds of funny looking micro holes with a few key holed Spitzer shaped holes. Yet 55gr Sierra BKand Nosler BT work great!

Had a .220 Swift that would shred the jackets on 55gn V-Maxes( just had to try them :D ). That rifle had a 1 in 8 twist on it. 60 gn Hornady's were fine, though. Jacket thickness has a lot to do with it as already stated.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.