Which Magnum to make

isu600rr

I have a Rem 700 action w a mag bolt face.
My dilemma is which magnum to re-barrel too.
I currently have have a savage fcp-k in 300wm its accurate but not custom accurate,
Ill be sending it off to North west action works to get a true job and also a barrel.

So do i go with another 300wm
7mm
300 rum
300wm
338 edge

Ill mostly be punching paper and steel but i have a 1000 yard range within a 2 hr drive. and perhaps one day ill draw a tag for out west. elk, prong horn etc..

I'm kinda in the same boat,I have a 7mm practical built on rem 700 with a 28 inch kreiger and absolutely love it it will shoot 3 inch groups at 950 all day long as long as I'm doing my part and was going to have another one built but something in me wants to build an edge so bad

I have both the 7mm Rem Mag and the .338 EDGE. They are both awesome, but for punching paper and steel @1000 the 7mag is a no brainer. Far cheaper to shoot, you can find brass way easier, recoil is much lighter and you can still get a clean kill @ 1000 on deer sized game.
The 338 is very fun to shoot, but your wallet starts to complain very fast.

7mmRM is hard to beat. I am Weatherby so my equivalent is 7mmWby.

IIWM would not go 7mmRUM instead go 28 Nosler.

If you want belted and no changes to your action, 7mm/300WM. Very practical choice.

I have a Rem 700 action w a mag bolt face.
My dilemma is which magnum to re-barrel too.
I currently have have a savage fcp-k in 300wm its accurate but not custom accurate,
Ill be sending it off to North west action works to get a true job and also a barrel.

So do i go with another 300wm
7mm
300 rum
300wm
338 edge

Ill mostly be punching paper and steel but i have a 1000 yard range within a 2 hr drive. and perhaps one day ill draw a tag for out west. elk, prong horn etc..

Yesterday I read about a new caliber, which means ammo and brass will be available. It is 6.5-.300 Weatherby. If I was building on a magnum action that is what I would build. It has a long neck so the barrel will last a little longer than the others might. The recoil will be about like a 7 Rem Mag; which is noticeably less that the other three you posted.

6.5/300 Weatherby is an oldy newby.

Weaterby's answer to the 26 Nosler. New but made years ago. I can't find when it was first "wildcatted". Saw it once, now can't find it.

I would and do have a 27 Nosler (277-26 Nosler), 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler (308-26 Nosler) and 338-26 Nosler.

However, I would never have a 26 Nosler.

I would have a 6.5-300 Weatherby. Long neck and all that.

6.5/300 Weatherby is an oldy newby.

Weaterby's answer to the 26 Nosler. New but made years ago. I can't find when it was first "wildcatted". Saw it once, now can't find it.

I would and do have a 27 Nosler (277-26 Nosler), 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler (308-26 Nosler) and 338-26 Nosler.

However, I would never have a 26 Nosler.

I would have a 6.5-300 Weatherby. Long neck and all that.

Jfseaman, how's the 338-26 Nosler running?

Jfseaman, how's the 338-26 Nosler running?
Killed my cow elk with it.

Great up to 250 grain bullets but after that it loosed too much to the 338 RUM, Edge Lapua or Norma.

Haven't done much with it lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.