which leupold

fatjake

I have my scope choices narrowed down.
The main use for this scope will be hunting.
I posted earlier about redneck scope choices because I was hoping to have Kenton industries build me a turret for quick dialing. It will be going on my 6.5x284 and I really would like to be able to dial to at least 800

I am deciding between

MK4 lr/t 4.5-14x50 (30mm) M1 turrets

VX6 3-18x50 (30mm) CDS

VX3i 4.5-14x50 (30mm) CDS

You don't need M1 turrets for hunting. Unless you hunt strictly open grass lands or dessert the probability is they'd just get in the way.
I'd probably choose theVX6 3-18x50 (30mm) CDS. Rugged, compact turrets, the 18 power is something that you can use if you want to but don't have to use if you're comfortable at lower power.

You don't need M1 turrets for hunting. Unless you hunt strictly open grass lands or dessert the probability is they'd just get in the way.
I'd probably choose theVX6 3-18x50 (30mm) CDS. Rugged, compact turrets, the 18 power is something that you can use if you want to but don't have to use if you're comfortable at lower power.

+1 to Fearnowind.

I've got a VX6 3-18x50 and it has proven to be a very effective scope. I can dial out to beyond 1400 yards +/- depending on elevation and that's with a slow moving 300 grain bullet.

I also do not like exposed turrets on a hunting rifle, and my VX6 has the TMOA reticle and the taller tactical style turrets that are covered, but I also have a cool new set of exposed turrets that Leupold recently came out with but are not advertised. I run those turrets in the off-season.

+1 to Fearnowind.

I've got a VX6 3-18x50 and it has proven to be a very effective scope. I can dial out to beyond 1400 yards +/- depending on elevation and that's with a slow moving 300 grain bullet.

I also do not like exposed turrets on a hunting rifle, and my VX6 has the TMOA reticle and the taller tactical style turrets that are covered, but I also have a cool new set of exposed turrets that Leupold recently came out with but are not advertised. I run those turrets in the off-season.

I agree for hunting a VX6 3 to 18 would be a fine choice

I have the 2-12, 4-24 and 7-42. They are all great. The tmoa reticle is my choice. My 2-12 is illuminated and the crosshairs are too thick for target work but great for early and late hunting which is what I use it for.

Here's a pic of those newer exposed tactical turrets for the VX6 3-18x50 TMOA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 44
Do you guys think I could get by with the vx3?
Its literally half the price.

$700 vs $1400

What am I gaining for that $700 other than the reticle

Of course you can get by with the VX3. But there is a significant jump in the quality of the glass between the two. In my opinion it's worth the $. But that's not to say the VX3 won't get the job done. VX3 is lighter too.

And I spent $1000 for my VX6 over optics planet with a 10% off coupon....

I'd agree with Timber338. There's no reason why you couldn't use the VX3 and you'd probably be very happy with it. But you've got to accept some reduction in quality of glass. I'd give up some quality in glass for a target scope before I'd give it up in a hunting scope. Sometimes that rack looks pretty good through the glass of a lesser quality scope but you can count more of the points with better glass.

I have both, VX-3 6.5-20x40 & VX-6 3-18x44 with external moa turrets. Either is great, but as said above the VX-6 is just a little nicer! I bought the VX-6 used 1 year old with external turrets and aluma caps for $775, excelent shape, very happy with the purchase. both are on 7mm's and both work well out past 1000yrds, the VX-6 is just nicer looking at animals past 1500yards when i don't have my spotting scope.

fatjake, in your op, you state that you would like to dial to at least 800 yards. That's a long way out. Not sure what your expectations are, but I have a Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20 X 50mm with the TMR reticle. This scope has the magnification and the sharpness/resolution to be able to 'aim small' at 800 yards and beyond. Also, the reticle is very functional when shooting at that distance. At that distance I find that dialing with a MOA dial works best for me. I have not found the M1 dials to be in the way at all. I have had a VX3 with an M1 dial for elevation for years and like it, but the Mark 4 is a better scope hands down. I have found that the clicks on my Mark 4 are exactly .25 MOA (or extremely close) and repeatable. The clicks on my VX3 are not exactly .25 MOA, but they are repeatable. Just something to think about.
Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.