Which digital scale??

longrange.270

I was looking into getting a digital scale but didn't want to get anything too expensive. I was looking at either the MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 1200 Grain Capacity or the Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity. Any of you guys use or have either of these scale and had any luck with one? Or if you guys recommend another digital scale. Thanks Jake

I've been using the RCBS Chargemaster combo for 2 years. The digital scale can be purchased separately and then used later with the powder dispenser. I've used the scale separately and it is very accurate and consistent.

I haven't used the scales you mentioned.

AJ

I have the lyman 1200dps 3 and would not recomend it as the final say on what the load is. I know that alot has been said about trusting the scale and not second guessing it but when you can masure out a load of 64.5 gr of rl -19 and then weigh it on a beam scale as 64.9 then take powder out to where it is 64.5 on the beam scale then put it back on the 1200 dps 3 and have it still weigh 64.5, then there is something wrong. I use mine, when weighing charges for lr, as just a glorified powder thrower and make the beam the final say. I don't know about the chargemaster but the lyman 1200 dps 3 is not the choice I would make again for accurate loading with stick powder.

"I was looking into getting a digital scale..."

Why? At their best, digital scales are no more accurate than a beam and rarely "faster" in any significant way. But they DO introduce a LOT of potential for error; zero drift, calibration drift, electracle interference, etc.

In my humble opion, the only significant way to use a digital powder scale is when it's an intergral part of a powder despensing system. And then they are only a little faster than a skilled loader with a conventional powder measure, a good dribbler and a scale.

Why? At their best, digital scales are no more accurate than a beam and rarely "faster" in any significant way. But they DO introduce a LOT of potential for error; zero drift, calibration drift, electracle interference, etc.

In my humble opion, the only significant way to use a digital powder scale is when it's an intergral part of a powder despensing system. And then they are only a little faster than a skilled loader with a conventional powder measure, a good dribbler and a scale.

HEAR HEAR!, but, if your not a skilled loader or you'd rather do something else with your time than dribble (Like seat a bullet) then get the Chargemaster and embrace the industrial age. Let the little man in the dispenser do the dribbling.

AJ

I am sorry but must disagree with you on this 100%. All of my ammo (competition for 1K and hunting) is loaded with a digital scale in fact the RCBS Chargemaster System. Also use a Denver Instruments scale just to make sure everything stays perfect. On competition ammunition I weigh it out first with the Chargemaster and then verify on the DI scale. Yes that is a little overkill but on my competition stuff it makes me feel better about it.

Flawless performance that is significantly faster than the old balance beam scales which I used for 25 years. You do have a point about the electrical interference but that is easily solved by using an outlet that has no florescent lights or other noisy equipment on it. Also let the scale warm up for 15 minutes before you start.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.