Where can I hunt bears like this?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Nicholas, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Just wondering where to hunt bears like this and how much it would cost?
    [​IMG]

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: sr90 ]

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

How big do you figure those bears are? 8 1/2 foot or so????

Friend of mine went to Russia (Kamchatka Peninsula) a while back and said the bears were pretty thick. I watched the video and there were indeed lots of bears, most in the 7 1/2 ft range but some larger models too. Price was a bit less than an Alaskan hunt.

3. texas

texas Well-Known Member

If you find ouy let me know! Other than that try Ringling Brothers [​IMG] have seenem that big there.

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

If that guy is 6ft tall than those bears are 13ft or better.
    You can only find bears that big in your dreams! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Nicholas

I was told that all the bears are from the former Soviet Union.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

7. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

I watched a vidio of some guys hunting them in Kamchatka in the winter on Alpine snomachines with dogs, these bears were ALL +10' squared and BIGGER that they killed. That's a cool pic! A friend of mine Bob has his mounted like that in his living room, "Vaulted" cielings only. His is 10'3"sq.

Those all look like 11+ footers, that's 11 squared.

8. Nicholas

Brent
    Wonder what kind of premium you have to pay to go on a hunt like that?

9. texas

texas Well-Known Member

I don't know but think it would be worth it, to come home with a trophy like that.

10. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

It's cheaper than Kodiak for a non-res and so is Africa for that matter, not sure how much though. You should have seen the helicopter those boys flew over there in! [​IMG] [​IMG] You wouldn't catch me dead in that old thing! I think it had some serious TIME on her! Kinda resembled, well... flying JUNK! [​IMG]

They were probably commited so they just closed their eyes and prayed!! Did I mention the old Alpine snomachines too? Yes they had to change an engine in the field on one of them too! [​IMG] No prob, got a spare in the sled [​IMG], but we'll SWAP pistons first and try that! Oops not going to work, just be a minute and the other engine will be in... Off we go! [​IMG] What a hoot that vidio was, I was laughin my ass off... [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. No Fear in Accuracy

No Fear in Accuracy Well-Known Member

They are awesome bears.

You may find big bears at Kodiak Island in Alaska. I believe there are some 10 footers there.

-Denny

12. Dave King

I'm thinking these are probably 10 ft plus bears (squared).

[​IMG]

I figure the man is 5'8" (68")... the bear is just under 1.5 times the man's height (about 5 inches short) so 68 + 29 = 97 , plus the length of the bear's head, give 24" more, 97 + 24 = 121".

I guess the point is, they're probably shooters.

13. texas

texas Well-Known Member

Dave if those bears are probably shooters. I'ld hate to be on a hunting trip with you,when you find a definite shooter. That you wanted to keep. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Dave King

Texas

When I first opened this tread I thought those were groundhogs [​IMG] but after a second glance I saw they were just bears...

Reminded me of a hunt I took a fella on once... I believe the scale is about correct, just that the positions are sort of reversed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Met this fella (hope I have his name correct) at a rifle shoot, he'd never been hunting in the U.S. He's an Italian living in Germany. We managed to get him a ground hog and a few crop damage deer...very nice guy.

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]