Where are you at with your skills and gear.

4ked Horn

We haven't had a survey in a while so I thought I would throw this out for fun.

The scenario:
1. Your best most trustworthy gun.
2. Slight breeze coming from 6 o'clock steady.
3. Warm spring day.
4. Light clouds hazing the sun. No glare off shiny metal objects.
5. You choose altitude.
(2-5) Or whatever you consider perfect atmospheric conditions.
6. Marmot, groundhog, woodchuck, koala bear (Aus/NZ), HUGE stag (EU) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif sized live target.
7. NO BENCHES. Offhand to rested on a truck hood but no bench. Field rests only.
8. Your buddy ranges the shot. From that point you have 90 seconds for setup and shot.
9.<font color="red"> MUST BE A ONE SHOT KILL.</font> (This is a radioactive, rabid, suicide bomber varmint with cooties that will attack you if you miss.)

The question:
Out to which distance can you make the shot? Round answers like this: If you are good to 475 then round down to 400. If you KNOW you are good to 480 then answer 500 and so on.

No one will know who answers what except for my first answer so please no BSing (Alan). This is just for fun.

Metric using friends please do the conversion and answer in yards as well.

Wolverines and badgers give this guy the giggles. He is the feircest thing to come down the line since the rabit in Monty Pythons "Holy Grail".

Feirce I'm tellin' ya. That shot has to count or its "good night Irene".

Commie bastard. It's varmints like that, that make you understand why the Republicans hold the White House and both houses.

We have our first 1k+ vote. Congradulations. Could I ask you to come out of annonimity and take a bow? Maybe tell us what gun, round, scope and rest you can do this with? I'm sure many of the new members would especially have an interest in this.

Or not, it's your choice. Thanks for responding in the poll.

4ked horn,

(No, I'm not the 1k bloke!)

Good idea for a poll. Hopefully lots more will chip in a vote. Thus far, the average result of 4-500yds has made me feel far less inadequate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep. I'm one of the 400 yarders even though I nailed a rockchuck at 490 with the first bullet after adjusting the scope from a 700 yard attempt. It was the only time I pulled off a 1 shot hit on anything live at that distance so I had to go with 400.

My current goal is to be able to hit a deers killzone out to 800 in normal hunting season conditions every time. That will give me a 100 yard safety factor for a 700 yard or less shot on a deer with the .308.

After shooting my deer last year at 430 yards and having it feel like a chip shot, then hitting a chuck this year at 490 yards on my first shot, I would feel comfortable saying 500 yards in 90 seconds from getting the range. Shot would be prone off the bipod with the 300WM or the 308.
No BS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had to vote for something because when I refreshed this page my poll results dissappeard as though I had not voted. I was the one that voted for 100 yards. I will have to remember on my next poll to have an extra position to vote for if any one else votes for a choice then has to vote again at some point to have the results stay up when they view the post over and over again.

4ked whats the latest update on that super radioactive kung foo, rabid, cootie having vermin? Is he he dead? I got mine or at least he hasn't attacked yet anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.